A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

2.7T leaking coolant from rear of passenger oil pan / alternator with pictures

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.7T leaking coolant from rear of passenger oil pan / alternator with pictures

Its on the rear of the passenger side oil pan very close to the alternator?

whats in that area that carries coolant that may be leaking?
im on original timing belt and accessories. Car has 75k. Timing belt was planned to be done at 85k.

PICTURE BELOW

Last edited by rohit13; 05-15-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Leaks are usually far above where they appear to be on the bottom of the engine.
Yours could be the rear main seal casting (rare but not unheard of) or more likely the auxiliary coolant pump under the intake manifold.

Scroll down aways and see some pics of the most recent aux coolant pump failure/repair.

Other than that, there are a bunch of pipes on the back of the engine that have 0-rings in them, there could also be a hose to/from the heater core. I just replaced a heater core hose on my 2K4.2A6...it's not as easy as you'd think...
Old 05-15-2012, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Leaks are usually far above where they appear to be on the bottom of the engine.
Yours could be the rear main seal casting (rare but not unheard of) or more likely the auxiliary coolant pump under the intake manifold.

Scroll down aways and see some pics of the most recent aux coolant pump failure/repair.

Other than that, there are a bunch of pipes on the back of the engine that have 0-rings in them, there could also be a hose to/from the heater core. I just replaced a heater core hose on my 2K4.2A6...it's not as easy as you'd think...
Some of my friend says that on the 2.7 the thermostat is right above the alternator and that it might be leaking.

What you describe as a "rare" leak sounds like an expensive fix. I sure hope its the thermostat as it will be replaced along with the cam belt.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Probably the auxiliary water pump under the manifold. Mine cost about $600.00 to fix. If it's leaking a lot you can undo the coolant fill cap a bit so the system doesn't build pressure. That should at least slow down the leak until you get it fixed.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Bartenderfloyd
Probably the auxiliary water pump under the manifold. Mine cost about $600.00 to fix. If it's leaking a lot you can undo the coolant fill cap a bit so the system doesn't build pressure. That should at least slow down the leak until you get it fixed.

For the love of god DO NOT LISTEN TO THIS MAN!!!! the coolant system is built to perform under pressure, with the cap loose, you wil leak coolant/pressure .... this could lead to literally frying your turbos as the auxiliary coolant pass is over the water jackets!
Old 05-15-2012, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 2.7Lturbo
For the love of god DO NOT LISTEN TO THIS MAN!!!! the coolant system is built to perform under pressure, with the cap loose, you wil leak coolant/pressure .... this could lead to literally frying your turbos as the auxiliary coolant pass is over the water jackets!
Oh relax, I know all about it and have heard it a million times. I drove around with the cap loosened for a few weeks. No problem. Do you think the coolant doesn't circulate if not under pressure? Whatever dude.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Well, the thermostat leak IS an expensive fix if you have to fix it outside of the TB service.

Both the rare rear main seal casting leak and the auxiliary pump failure are somewhat spendy...the rear main seal requires engine or transmission removal. The aux pump isn't so bad, one guy just did it by lifting the IM while others have said it can be done by unhooking the coolant hose at the rear of the engine and the front of the engine and pulling the aux coolant pump out through the front and reversing the procedure.

But a coolant leak at the thermostat would most likely show at the front of the engine, not where yours is.

Good luck.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Well, the thermostat leak IS an expensive fix if you have to fix it outside of the TB service.

Both the rare rear main seal casting leak and the auxiliary pump failure are somewhat spendy...the rear main seal requires engine or transmission removal. The aux pump isn't so bad, one guy just did it by lifting the IM while others have said it can be done by unhooking the coolant hose at the rear of the engine and the front of the engine and pulling the aux coolant pump out through the front and reversing the procedure.

But a coolant leak at the thermostat would most likely show at the front of the engine, not where yours is.

Good luck.
Yikes. I would sure hope this leak isnt anything that requires and engine pull.

I have an update that might or might not be helpful

The car seems to be leaking coolant only while running and about an after its been turned off. The coolant pool hasnt gotten any bigger in the past 2-3 hours since its been turned off. So i guess the leak isnt a constant dripping leak like i excepted.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Bartenderfloyd
Oh relax, I know all about it and have heard it a million times. I drove around with the cap loosened for a few weeks. No problem. Do you think the coolant doesn't circulate if not under pressure? Whatever dude.
you are misinformed... the coolant will slowly boil off and escape via the unscrewed cap, that is why the system is sealed, the coolant heats up and starts to boil and causes pressure. the pressure is not what causes the coolant to circulate, but coolant escaping via a cap will cause the level to drop preventing proper circulation and hot spots to form, as more hot spots form more coolant boils off, and on and on and on.

just because you got lucky doesnt mean everyone will, not to mention youve never cracked your water jackets or turbo journals to check for heat damage so you never know.

bottom line is dont recommend potentially dangerous tips when a 100 dollar pump and an afternoon with some buds and beers will fix the problem
Old 05-15-2012, 08:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by rohit13
Yikes. I would sure hope this leak isnt anything that requires and engine pull.

I have an update that might or might not be helpful

The car seems to be leaking coolant only while running and about an after its been turned off. The coolant pool hasnt gotten any bigger in the past 2-3 hours since its been turned off. So i guess the leak isnt a constant dripping leak like i excepted.
Sure sounds like the aux pump to me, which I believe is only activated after the engine has been shut off.

I replaced mine in my 2001 A6 2.7T over the last couple of weeks. See my recent posts/threads for all of my trials and tribulations through the process.

When I was at your stage of the game, diagnosis was a problem... I really had no clue how to tell for sure where this slowish leak was coming from. Finally my hand was forced when the thing blew wide open and every drop of coolant I put in poured right out the bottom.

Anyway, you can do this fix on your own if it is the aux pump... and I say that because I did it, and if I did then anyone can.

I'm lurking on here every day, so feel free to ask any questions and I'll do what I can to help.

Quick Reply: 2.7T leaking coolant from rear of passenger oil pan / alternator with pictures