A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

2001 A6 2.7T - 4 months of ownership

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2000, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 A6 2.7T - 4 months of ownership

I know some of these things have been discussed in prior postings but here is my experience:

All brakes and rotors replaced due to warping, fuel gauge sending sensors replaced (ran out of gas), overhead interior light harness replaced, passenger side xenon headlight replaced 3 times. Seems as though hella & Audi AG have changed the color from the white/blue to white/yellow hue (called hella to verify) so now the car looks like it has one xenon & one non-xenon headlight. Dealership can't find an original blue tint bulb as of yet. Bose radio needed to be replaced due to constant blinking, 3 months of back order.

Frustration hit the point of no return causing numerous calls to Audi customer service as well as a letter to the head of AoA.

......is it April Fools day yet?
Old 12-26-2000, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Ouch. Has there been any response?

The dealer should have known about the:

1. Rotor warping problem
2. The fuel sending unit problem (and at least given you a courtesy heads up)
3. The Xenon color HAS changed and if it bothers you that much the dealer should replace the other one so at least you don't get an odd illumination effect.

Have they in fact replaced the radio yet? Have the fuel sending units been o.k. since replacement? What has AOA had to say, if anything?
Old 12-27-2000, 03:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Your experiences sound like mine....

Not good service from my dealer either.

*Replaced front rotors due to warpage.
*Replaced a cable on the transmission due to transmission in "limp mode".
*Radio on order for drifting.
*Replaced fuel sender unit due to recall.(side note: it's actually *very* accurate now...)
*Replaced rear/middle seat belt.
*Windshield has weird distortions. Dealer ordered me a new one and wants to charge me $380+ for the thing! How crazy is that?
*Various creaks/squeaks in the dash.

Seems crazy for a $40-$50K car to have this much wrong with it? I actually went and drove a Passat GLX yesterday and thought it was a nice ride. Thinking seriously about "downsizing".
Old 12-27-2000, 05:47 AM

Default Re: Your experiences sound like mine....

I agree....a $45k car should ensure a reasonable level of reliability.
As for the windshield, I would tell the dealer to stick it and start calling the audi client relations dept. They were the ones that helped me get the radio replaced.

I (my spouse) am in the 2 month of ownership of a silver w/ black interior Passat GLX. Option'd it fully out and added cd, rear spoiler, mud gaurds & tiptronics but we didn't get the 4motion (too much drain on performance). Cost approx $29k...seemed reasonable after plunking down $45k. We have had a severe collant leak that the dealer hasn't seemed to be able to fix. They replaced the reservoir but now it looks like the hose is leaking. This dealership won't be winning any awards from me either. It's still a great car though.

Hope this helps.........good luck.
Old 12-27-2000, 06:06 AM

Default Re: Ouch. Has there been any response?

The rotors were replace in month 1 and they were very nonchalant about it.

No heads up on the fuel sending problem...I had to run out of gas before I found out about the problem. They seem to be working fine...very accurate now. When I called for service the dealer said "Let me guess, you are having a problem with the fuel sensors"....my head almost exploded.

Dealer has now offered the replace the drivers side light (after 3 attempts)to match the color but I notice a difference in performance and visability in the the yellow one so I am demanding the original color. *****?

Radio finally replaced after numerous of calls to cust relations....it actually sounds better than the original (much more bass and clarity) or maybe I have an exhaust leak in the cabin and I sniffing the fumes.

AoA said I am "one in a million" (i guess they don't read this board)and has assigned me a customer relations contact and sent me a free audi jacket.....I threatened to drop the A6 and get a MB AMG.

Problem is...I love the A6
Old 12-27-2000, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I think you pushed me over the edge this a.m.. I called service and they

disconnected me. I called back and the line rang forever. I finally hung up and wrote my post. I generally don't post my problems on the board because they are not going to get fixed here. I usually report "fixed" or "known" problems so that people don't have to sift through the minutae to get answers. Today was an exception. They pissed me off and sitting in my office staring at my car is only making me angrier.

BTW, did get through to service and got an appointment to return on January 16th. Now, let's see. I was there last Friday and they told me to schedule a follow-up appointment. Me being the dope, thought that meant I would get a call saying your appointment is "x." No call as of this a.m. and it dawned on me that my follow-up would never occur if I did not schedule it.

It is important to note (and if you search) you will find that I am a very objective and analytical Audi owner. I generally don't post with much emotion on the board. I will follow up with less b.s. and more facts.

Brian
Old 12-27-2000, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Interesting note on the Passat. Other than the coolant leak, is everything else with it fine? I'm heading down to try out a GLX/Tip this afternoon as I drove the 5-speed version yesterday. Minor problem I'm encountering right now is that I'm starting to really like my car again as most of the items have been fixed. Still...it just doesn't seem to be the quality that I was expecting.
Old 12-27-2000, 09:53 AM

So far so good on everything else....warranty a little cheesey (3yr /36mth) but that is their way of distinguishing themselves from Audi. The tiptronics is ok but if you are looking for performance the 5spd is the way to go.

Good solid car for the money...I would chip it if I was driving it. After the 2.7T it is going to be hard to take a step down in performance.

Good luck
Old 12-27-2000, 09:55 AM

One last thing....drive it a night. The blue dash lights are difficult for me to get used to. I found it hard to distinguish the characters at night. My opinion.....not shared by all.
Old 12-27-2000, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Owners now doing QC for Audi. When all the stuff is fixed....

How realiable will the car be. We have identified the 0-20k mile problems on 2.7t's. What will the 20-40k problems be?? Turbo's like on the S4??

ps:

I have 11k miles
Bad O2 sensor
Bad seat heater switch (makes for intereting summer driving in Texas!)
Broken cup holders x2
Loose drivers seat
No parts for fuel gauge recall
Loose vacuum lines makes for check engine light
Bad radio reception
No parts for bad temp gauge sensor

But I love driving the damn thing!

Quick Reply: 2001 A6 2.7T - 4 months of ownership