A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

2001 A6 Transmission slipping after warm up

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 08:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 A6 Transmission slipping after warm up

2001 A6 Started slipping at 188k after about 3 miles from cold let it cool and the same 3 miles and line pressure drops and it begins to slip, So I took it to A Friends transmission shop had it rebuilt, Clutches were vary worn one drum the bushing had worked it's way out about 3/16 back in the car and the same symptoms Replaced the valve body on the advice of an European transmission shop with no difference, Found the computer under the passengers carpet was water logged replaced it to no avail still slips after warm up in about 3 miles.
The car has been sitting about 3 years now I move it every once in awhile, Before the trans fault I did the timing belt water pump and thermostat replaced the leaking oil seals put new brake rotors, calipers and pads front and rear and new tires the car runs like a clock and i'd like to get some use out of it, I have found this forum helpful keeping it and my children's Audi's going this problem has me stumped and 2 transmission shops, The shop I took it too I've known for 40 years and we have worked together on many projects,The European shop has been around for 25 years or so and was part of an online seller that sold import parts used and rebuilt and i trust them also...
They both seem to think there is an electrical problem the European shop said if i put in a rebuilt trans it would slip also so i'm asking here if anyone has run in to this or is there something stupid being over looked? I have a list of all the new or rebuilt parts used in the transmission around here somewhere it's been so long it would take so effort to find it. If anyone has any thoughts as to what could be causing the line pressure to drop i'm game to look at anything my next move if i can't solve this is to sell it before snow.
Thanks for taking the time to read this it's the first time I was unable to solve my problem by reading the existing information on here!
Old 10-16-2018, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Trans help

There is a member shop in the Reno area that knows a lot about the transmission in the 4.2 A6. Her name is Tanya Charbury. I would see if she has any ideas.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

The pressure regulator in the valve body is a known culprit for these symptoms. It gets damaged/ clogged with debris from the worn clutches. The company clancy referred to is called OCLES. I don't think they are an authorized vendor on this site as they weren't happy with the fees involved. Having said that, as far as I know they are still in business. Try a Google search for their site.