A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

2002 A6 Avant 3.0 Starting Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 A6 Avant 3.0 Starting Issues

have a ‘02 A6 that doesn’t want to start on the first crank. It will always start right up on the second try but never on the first. This is a new issues in the last week or so. I am planning on looking at the injectors, maybe there is a leaky one that if flooding the manifold? Anyone have any ideas of what I should look at next?
Old 05-03-2018, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

starter is probably on the way out or check the connections to it
Old 05-03-2018, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by twopedalwarrior
starter is probably on the way out or check the connections to it
Thank you for your suggestion! The starter cranks the engine quickly, consistently, smoothly and has never failed to engage when the key is turned so I am a little skeptical about the starter being the issue. The car will turn over no problem when I try to start it but will not actually fire until I crank it over a second time. Interestingly, I can crank it for 10 seconds and it will make no attempt to fire but if I blip the starter for one revolution, turn the key all the way to the off position then try again it will immediately start. It is almost as is the ECU is not turning on the ignition until it has failed to start once.
Old 05-03-2018, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Probably NOT the starter. Could be a failing check valve in the fuel pump, that maintains an amount of pressure in the fuel system to supply the injectors at restart. What happens if you try a restart after a short amount of time? Like if you turn the car off, go into the coffee shop and come out five minutes later and try a start? Will it fire on the first try or do you have to go a second try. Or does it only do this after being shut down for a few hours? Also it would be helpful to pull fault codes.
Old 05-03-2018, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Harleyguy
Probably NOT the starter. Could be a failing check valve in the fuel pump, that maintains an amount of pressure in the fuel system to supply the injectors at restart. What happens if you try a restart after a short amount of time? Like if you turn the car off, go into the coffee shop and come out five minutes later and try a start? Will it fire on the first try or do you have to go a second try. Or does it only do this after being shut down for a few hours? Also it would be helpful to pull fault codes.
hey, yeah I agree that the starter doesn’t seem likely. I thought about the check valve because if does seem like it just needs to prime the fuel lines but the problem does not improve if I leave the ignition on (or cycle it) prior to cranking over. The car will fire right up if it’s been <15 minute but much longer than that and it requires two cranks before it fires. I pulled the codes and it doesn’t have anything stored. I have a VAG-COM so I can do some data logging if that is at all helpful. Thanks for all your help!!
Old 05-04-2018, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The 15 minute deal is another strong indicator of a bad check valve. Takes a while for the fuel pressure to bleed off. I am thinking you are due for a new pump.
Old 05-04-2018, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The 15 minute deal is another strong indicator of a bad check valve. Takes a while for the fuel pressure to bleed off. I am thinking you are due for a new pump.
yeah, I am starting to agree with you. I found out o can use my VAG-COM to log the fuel rail pressure after O shut the car off. I will do that after work today and reply back with the results. Thanks a bunch!!
Old 05-07-2018, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

hey Harleyguy,

So I measured the fuel pressure at the rail tia weekend and made some interesting discoveries. First, the pump does not turn on when the ignition is turned on! With the key at “run” the fuel pressure was 0 psi. Tried cranking once and the pressure went up to 10 psi and stayed there. Tried cranking again and the pressure jumped to 55 psi and the car started. When I turned the car off the pressure dropped to 44 psi and slowly lowered to 36 over the next 30 minutes. I performed the test with a hot engine and was told to expect the pressure jump to ~65 psi as the residual heat warmed the fuel in the lines. This app leads me to think that you are right about the fuel pump/check valve being bad. I am very confused so to why the pump isn’t turning on when the ignition is on, wondering if it might be a solenoid issue? Thanks for all your help as advice!
Old 05-07-2018, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I believe that you should hear the fuel pump buzzing when you turn the key to the run position but not 100% sure. If you aren't sure and can't contact someone who knows for sure you could always try changing the relay first. They cost around $28-$30 depending on where you buy. I am still thinking fuel pump but it is relatively expensive and if you aren't sure it could be worth changing the relay first. Anyone else here want to jump in on this, georgeb944 maybe?
Old 05-07-2018, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 173 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyHops

hey Harleyguy,

So I measured the fuel pressure at the rail tia weekend and made some interesting discoveries. First, the pump does not turn on when the ignition is turned on! With the key at “run” the fuel pressure was 0 psi. Tried cranking once and the pressure went up to 10 psi and stayed there. Tried cranking again and the pressure jumped to 55 psi and the car started. When I turned the car off the pressure dropped to 44 psi and slowly lowered to 36 over the next 30 minutes. I performed the test with a hot engine and was told to expect the pressure jump to ~65 psi as the residual heat warmed the fuel in the lines. This app leads me to think that you are right about the fuel pump/check valve being bad. I am very confused so to why the pump isn’t turning on when the ignition is on, wondering if it might be a solenoid issue? Thanks for all your help as advice!
The fuel pump is not supposed to turn on when the ignition is just turned on and the engine is not running. When you turn the key to start, the fuel pump relay picks (and the fuel pump starts working). The fuel pump continues to run only if there is a good signal from the crank position sensor that the engine is running. If the engine stops (for example, after a crash), the fuel pump stops pumping.

The reason for all of this weirdness is simple, if the pump runs when the ignition is on and the engine is not running, a break in the fuel supply lines or an injector that is stuck open will lead to, at worst, a fire on a hot engine, or, at least, a cylinder filled with fuel, leading to a bent connecting rod, or a ruined catalytic converter.

That's why the fuel pump doesn't turn on when you turn the ignition switch to on and no further.

Quick Reply: 2002 A6 Avant 3.0 Starting Issues