A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

2002 audi a6

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 audi a6

When I parked my Audi A6 turn the ignition to the Off remove key then I can pump the brakes and the dash cluster will light up and the radio will turn on the only aftermarket it electrical work that I see is a aftermarket USB Bluetooth how will I find what's causing that electrical problem because my battery is drained overnight with the car in the off position and the mileage light stays on all night
Old 11-14-2018, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Difficult to understand without punctuation and some of the misspelling but as a solution the easiest would be to install a battery master switch and it is entirely possible that the after market blue tooth installation caused the problem a sticking relay may also be at fault you could hook up a volt meter and start looking for a battery draw or have it looked at by an independent shop what happens after removing the key if you don't pump the brake
Old 11-14-2018, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Harleyguy
Difficult to understand without punctuation and some of the misspelling but as a solution the easiest would be to install a battery master switch and it is entirely possible that the after market blue tooth installation caused the problem a sticking relay may also be at fault you could hook up a volt meter and start looking for a battery draw or have it looked at by an independent shop what happens after removing the key if you don't pump the brake
.......it says press brake before starting...and press brake before turning ignition off....if i press brake....turn ingnition off....remove key....the odometer is still lit....i dont have funds for professional wiring YET....has new ignition switch......sonetimes the radio activates itself in the middle of night while im sleep....i dont have a volt meter either
Old 11-14-2018, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy M. Horton
.......it says press brake before starting...and press brake before turning ignition off....if i press brake....turn ingnition off....remove key....the odometer is still lit....i dont have funds for professional wiring YET....has new ignition switch......sonetimes the radio activates itself in the middle of night while im sleep....i dont have a volt meter either
If you don't have any money to get it fixed right now, then start carrying around a 10 mm wrench and remove the negative terminal on the battery each time you park the car. At least that way you won't have a dead battery when you go to start it the next day.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by georgeb944
If you don't have any money to get it fixed right now, then start carrying around a 10 mm wrench and remove the negative terminal on the battery each time you park the car. At least that way you won't have a dead battery when you go to start it the next day.
i thought someone may know something about specific fuses or wiring spots to look at
Old 11-14-2018, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by georgeb944
Well, bring it over and I'll take a look at it.
where are you?
Old 11-14-2018, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy M. Horton
If it is an automatic transmission there should be no reason to press the brake pedal to turn the car on or off. Newer models with "push button start" do have a brake interlock switch. Your model should not have that feature. The one common denominator that I see at this point is that the ignition switch was replaced. Could be a defective switch or something done wrong during the install. If the switch is functioning correctly the odometer would light when you open the driver door but should go out after the door is closed. You are going to need to either acquire some basic diagnostic tools like a volt meter, etc if you have any hope of working on your own car or find someone knowledgeable about Audi's to assist you. I am not putting you down here just trying to get the message across that these are often difficult cars to work on under the best of circumstances. For the time being follow george's suggestion about the wrench. You can maybe run a scan for faults but in this case it probably won't help.