A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

2003 DIS

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 01:30 AM
qew
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 DIS

Hi, is it possible to retrofit DIS on my 2003 A6 (C5)?
I'm having a real hard time finding any validation that this can be done on models before 2005.

From what I can understand you need to change the wiper stalk (same procedure as fitting cruise control) then just code it using VCDS.
Should be easy over CAN if you have a C6, but what if you have a C5 and no CAN?

My cruise control is already installed and enabled, working fine, so enabling DIS should be doable too, right?

I have replaced the wiper stalk and it too is working fine, question is how i code it using VCDS, I can connect to controller 17 (cluster) but once there, without CAN I have no long coding so not sure how to enable it.
I also read I need to enable it under 16, steering wheel, but I get no response from that controller, guessing 2003s don't have that installed?

So am I outta luck or just being stupid?
Appreciate any help!
Old 02-20-2018, 02:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 162 Posts

What does DIS do?
Old 02-20-2018, 02:12 AM
qew
Audiworld Junior Member

It's the Driver Information System, aka trip computer.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by qew
It's the Driver Information System, aka trip computer.
Ah, if you have the full licensed version of VCDS, the long coding helper will help you with long coding.

As for the ability to retrofit, I don't know... Each of the six A6 C5 cars I have owned and currently own, came with the driver information system installed and active from the factory.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:51 AM
qew
Audiworld Junior Member

I have e genuine ross tech cable and was using VCDS version 18.2 and trying to figure this out last night.

When I connect it to my golf (2015) everything works as it should, no problem coding at all, K1-2 and CAN all check out as OK when I test the connection.
But when I connect it to my A6 there isn't even a button for long coding, K1-2 are OK but I have no CAN, was just a guess that's what caused it, maybe I should be able to long code even without CAN?

I know you can retrofit it easily in the C6, that car is though fully CAN compatible, then again maybe that hasn't got anything to do with it, I just assumed...
Old 02-20-2018, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by qew
I have e genuine ross tech cable and was using VCDS version 18.2 and trying to figure this out last night.

When I connect it to my golf (2015) everything works as it should, no problem coding at all, K1-2 and CAN all check out as OK when I test the connection.
But when I connect it to my A6 there isn't even a button for long coding, K1-2 are OK but I have no CAN, was just a guess that's what caused it, maybe I should be able to long code even without CAN?

I know you can retrofit it easily in the C6, that car is though fully CAN compatible, then again maybe that hasn't got anything to do with it, I just assumed...
Hard to say... perhaps a call to Ross Tech might be more productive than talking to us amateurs...
Old 02-20-2018, 04:56 AM
qew
Audiworld Junior Member

I definitely will but I'm still waiting for an admin to verify my serial number over at ross-tech.

Was just hoping that someone had actually done this before, or knew that it could/could not be done.

Thanks for keeping me company though
Old 02-20-2018, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stupid question, but is it as simple as turning on the display using the button on the bottom of the wiper stalk? There is a switch on the bottom that toggles the center cluster display on and off. I've never seen a C5 without a center information display.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:52 AM
qew
Audiworld Junior Member

I do have the display, it's not about that.
Since I don't have DIS enabled from factory, I can't switch between the read outs, it's stuck showing outside temp.

So I installed the stalk to be able to switch between readings and reset them.
I looked through the sensors in VCDS and found mpg, trip dist. and so on so I know I have the sensors/computer to actually do the calculations.

I just can't find how and where I should change my code to enable the car to accept the input from the stalk and cycle through the display.

If I get a solid response over on ross-tech I'll be sure to update this thread for future reference.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

So what happens when you operate the small rocker type switch on the end of the wiper switch stalk?

Quick Reply: 2003 DIS