A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

2004 A6 C5 2.7T engine timing

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 A6 C5 2.7T engine timing

Engine timing belt and water pump job due to water pump failure.

The water pump seal blew and the car overheated. I am in reassembly of the timing belt components plus water pump. After I freed the cam and crank from the lock tools and with all components torqued, I hand cranked the engine 2 revolutions of the crank. Afterwards, the cam lock tool will not fit back on. Misalignment is more on the passenger bank.

I realigned and retorqued the camshaft gears with an extra 10 ft-lbs. Same result.

I repeated a third time with realignment/retorque and after hand cranking 2 revolutions of the crank the result was the same. About 10 degrees less timing on the passenger bank. I cranked an extra 2 revolutions (total 4) and the passenger side crank was even more out of time. All 3 attempts were 15n-m preload to the belt. What could be causing misalignment?

Im not sure where to go from here. I am scared to try and run this motor. Could overheating have burned the valves bad enough to cause something like this?
Old 08-11-2018, 10:30 AM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by jdbergl
Engine timing belt and water pump job due to water pump failure.

The water pump seal blew and the car overheated. I am in reassembly of the timing belt components plus water pump. After I freed the cam and crank from the lock tools and with all components torqued, I hand cranked the engine 2 revolutions of the crank. Afterwards, the cam lock tool will not fit back on. Misalignment is more on the passenger bank.

I realigned and retorqued the camshaft gears with an extra 10 ft-lbs. Same result.

I repeated a third time with realignment/retorque and after hand cranking 2 revolutions of the crank the result was the same. About 10 degrees less timing on the passenger bank. I cranked an extra 2 revolutions (total 4) and the passenger side crank was even more out of time. All 3 attempts were 15n-m preload to the belt. What could be causing misalignment?

What is your procedure for setting the cam timing? Are you freeing the sprockets from the cams? Using the pin and bar? Doing the bank two (driver's) side first, then bank one?
If I had to bet, I would guess that you are doing bank one first and that is causing your issue.

Could overheating have burned the valves bad enough to cause something like this?
This makes no sense. Overheating doesn't burn valves, and valves condition has zero impact on timing.

Old 08-11-2018, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Procedure for adjusting timing.

I have the Cam gears broken free and have been going from crank to drivers side bank, water pump, then Passenger bank.

Once belt is installed with the bar on. Torque to 30n-m

remove bar. Counter hold belt at tensioner. Torque to 55n-m.

I will try installing the belt in the opposite direction.

Thank You.
Old 08-11-2018, 01:17 PM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

I have the Cam gears broken free and have been going from crank to drivers side bank, water pump, then Passenger bank.

Once belt is installed with the bar on. Torque to 30n-m

remove bar. Counter hold belt at tensioner. Torque to 55n-m.

I will try installing the belt in the opposite direction.

Thank You.
It's not about the direction you install the belt, it's about the order in which you tighten the sprockets.
Get the belt on, sprockets free, belt tensioned.
First tighten the driver's (bank two) side cam sprocket, then do the passenger's (bank one) sprocket.

The order matters because tightening the sprockets actually pulls the belt a bit. If you do bank one first, it will be correct until you tighten bank two, then it will be early when you re-check.
Old 08-11-2018, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Order of tightening cam gears

I see. Thank you for your help/expertise. I will make more headway tomorrow and update on my progress. Thanks again.
Old 08-24-2018, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

4d4
Successful start and idle this morning with no leaks. My Bank1 CAM Sprocket did 'jump' clockwise when I broke them loose, which at first alarmed me. I just reset at my tool and completed the new tightening sequence that you had suggested. I let it idle for maybe 10 minutes. the valves seemed a little loud to me and there was some smoke/exhaust coming from the passenger side (Bank1) rear. Kind of beneath the Combi Valve. Maybe I should just do valve covers as well since the car is in service position right now. Maybe the smoke could mean the combi valve needs replacement too.

Anyway, thanks.
JDB