A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

450 Miles with a 99.5 A6 (Review)

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-1999, 08:45 PM
mbh

Default 450 Miles with a 99.5 A6 (Review)

After 450 miles, I am quite satisfied with the performance of the 99.5 A6, especially the build quality (keep fingers crossed). In fact, the initial delivery quality is higher than with any other car I've owned/leased, and that list includes a bunch of Hondas/Acuras and a Volvo (current station wagon).

Pros: Build quality
Level of comfort/room
Excellent compromise between a harsh, superfirm sporty suspension and a "luxury marshmallow".
Seat firmness/comfort
Audio performance (I was lucky enough to get a car with the new Bose/Symphony MY 2000 audio system)
Exterior design (car sure is a head-turner)
Steering feel/correct level of assist
Value (on account of Audi incentive lease deal)

Cons: Placement of oil dipstick (difficult to reach without getting somewhat burned by hot components in engine bay)

Relatively loud idle
Headlights appear dimmer than what I'm used to.
Slight "Hitch" felt through brake pedal just before car comes to complete stop (gradual braking only)

Clearly, the "Cons" are pretty nitpicky, but I will have them checked out after the car has completed break-in (headlights could be misaligned?, hitch might be transmission downshifting/disengaging?)

As for the speed/performance issue, it is clear to me that the 2.7T would not have been worth the wait or the price premium over the current lease deal (not that I wouldn't like more power, after this lease is up....). The Tip comes in quite handy for keeping the car in 3rd when needing to merge rapidly onto the freeway.

Mitch
'99.5 A6Q (Andorra Red/Onyx, Convenience, Cold Weather, Audio)
Old 08-23-1999, 08:39 AM
Roy

Default 1700 miles with a 99.5 A6

Pretty much the same thoughts - it is a world class car. Would like to know if a chip would really help low end performance. Only other cons would be a slight buffetting sound at low speed with coming from the sunroof and once in a while have to hit the tip twice for it to repspond. Will be checking that out. Love the car.
Old 08-23-1999, 04:24 PM
John G

Default Re: the sunroof

The wind "buffeting" from the sunroof at low speed is typical on both the A4 and A6. I think it's due to some sort of standing pressure wave building up due to the airflow dynamics in that area. The trick I use is to crack one of the rear windows open slightly to relieve the pressure. It provides a little more airflow through the car without disturbing you with too much wind.

John G
96 A4
99 A6 Avant
Old 08-23-1999, 05:22 PM
Arief

200 Miles with 99.5 A6, loud idle?
Old 08-23-1999, 05:25 PM
Arief

Default 200 Miles with 99.5 A6, loud idle? Thanks for your advice on pricing guys!

I took delivery last week.

I agree with mbh including loud idle.
Will it become smoother after break in?

97 A4 1.8Tq Wett
99.5 A6
Old 08-23-1999, 06:15 PM
Bob R.

Default Re: 450 Miles with a 99.5 A6 (Review)

Do you find the A6 a bit sluggish on acceleration. I have a '96 A4 2.8 that is up for lease in October. I have driven the A6 and I am waiting for the A6 2.7T. Your thoughts. What did you compare the A6 to before you bought?
Old 08-23-1999, 06:23 PM
Arief

Default Re: 450 Miles with a 99.5 A6 (Review)

It is sluggish, but you can get a better deal on the instock 99 A6.
I believe the incoming A6 2.7T will eliminate this problem.

97 A4Tq Wett
99 A6Q (Convenience, Cold, Audio, Security)
Old 08-23-1999, 07:46 PM
mbh

Default Speed Isn't Everything

The cars we were seriously considering included the Saab 9-5 V6, the Acura 3.2 TL, and the Lexus GS 300. Clearly, the A6 is sluggish compared to these other cars. However, acceleration is not everything (at least to my wife and I) and as soon as we heard about the dealer lease incentives on the A6, we quickly shifted gears and went for the A6 based on style, build quality, quattro safety and handling, and luxury appointments. Sure, in a drag race with any of the cars listed above, the A6 is toast (unless the race is on snow, ice, slick roads ;-), but who wants to race when you are coddled in the A6.

Sure, I would like more power and hopefully there will be some lease incentives and/or other good deals around on the A6 2.7T or 4.2 when my lease expires in three years.

mitch
Old 08-24-1999, 05:40 AM
Roy

Are you planning on Chipping your A6?
Old 08-24-1999, 06:17 PM
Arief

Default Re: Are you planning on Chipping your A6?

Probably I will get Wett chip since I have Wett on my 97 A4.
Will the additional 17hp worth the price of chipping?

Quick Reply: 450 Miles with a 99.5 A6 (Review)