A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

500 mile report: 2001 A6 2.8 Quattro Tiptronic

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2001, 07:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 500 mile report: 2001 A6 2.8 Quattro Tiptronic

It's been a couple of weeks since I picked up my new car and I thought I'd pass along my thoughts so far. Lots of pros, not many cons:
1. Transmission is smoooth as silk. Not used to this coming from a M-B which shifts rather abruptly in comparison.
2. Love the Xenon headlights. In addition to being very cool to look at, they are probably the safest thing going. On high beam on dark back roads there is nothing that compares with the exception of Kleig lights.
3. Auto dimming mirrors are also a fabulous option. By the time I get my hand up to flip the dimming switch (which doesn't actually exist) on my rear view mirror, it's already dimmed itself. Outside mirrors that auto dim are equally impressive.
4. Heated seats front and rear. Who could live without them once you have them?
5. Standard sound system is terrific. What I think is the occasional rattle or squeak in the car always turns out to be a drum or castenet sound coming independently from one speaker or another on some CD I'm listening to. The speakers are that good.
6. Fit, finish and quality superb. No noises, problems, complaints with anything.
7. Having a little trouble getting used to the sound system controls in the steering wheel. Just not used to it yet. Buttons are a little small and intuitively I always seem to press on the outside of the button when only the inside of it will operate the control. Or is it the other way around? Whatever.
8. Have yet to find that perfect position for the seat. Seems that the lower portion of the back of the drivers seat comes out about a half inch too far. Sort of pushes into my lower back a little. Lumbar support helps but not enough. The problem is a little higher than that. Once I get the right position I'll set my memory seat and forget about it.
9. I've ordered a radar detector. I know I will be speeding in this car! It's impossible to keep the speed down. This car is so smooth and quiet I'm doing 80 before I even think about it.
10. Quattro is a must. I live in New England and would never get another car without it.
11. Is the trunk lid very heavy? Or is it just me? Seems like it's hard to open and close-not the latching- just the sheer weight of it.
That's about all I can think of for now. More later in a couple of weeks. No pics yet but working on it. A couple of you know I was having serious doubts about going from an M-B to an Audi. I'm glad I did it. This car is great. Thanks for your encouragement.
Old 01-17-2001, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Great report Brian. Sounds as if you're enjoying yourself.
Old 01-17-2001, 09:00 AM

Default Could not agree more

Brian,
I've just approached the 850 mile mark on my new 2001 2.8 and concur with your thoughts so far. However, I find the seat positions to be perfect. My only complaint so far is finding the perfect setting for the Bose system.
Old 01-17-2001, 10:22 AM

Default seat position

After I finished my post I went out to the garage to install the radar detector which arrived today. While I was there I started fooling around with the seat again. Duh! I didn't realize the lumbar thing went up and down not just in and out. Problem seems to be solved. One more thought: winter is a lousy time to buy a new car because I want to be out there fooling around with all the gadgets and electronics but would much rather be doing so outside on a nice sunny day than in the cold. But playing with the quattro is a lot more satisfying in the winter snow than in the summer, isn't it?
Old 01-17-2001, 10:29 AM

Default Shana, you ...

never mind, old TV culture reference.

Tranny is smoother than a Merc, but I can sometimes get it to stutter when doing a R-to-D shift, like the quattro and tranny are quarreling.

Auto-dimming is annoying and a potential safety hazard. I keep meaning to cover over the sensor so I can control it.

Funny you mention trunk lid. I just got a C230 and when I hit the trunk button on the remote, that trunk lid snaps up smartly. On the A6, I hear the latch pop but no movement. In other words, why did I bother?
Old 01-17-2001, 10:33 AM

Default Jack, you.....

as they say (or used to anyway) "That's why Howard Johnson makes 28 flavors".
Old 01-18-2001, 04:51 AM

Default Re: Shana, you ...

Hey Phred;
The glass is half full not half empty.Try to work on the power of positive thinking.

Regards