A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

98' A6 quattro wont start

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 02:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98' A6 quattro wont start

This is my forst Audi. I just bought it as is. Story from the guy is. He left his house made it to the stop sign and it just died. When it cranks it tries to start like hicups, but wont fire.
first thought was maybe the fuel pump. So when got it home tried a bit of starting fluid and didnt change anything.
He said before this happened the car drove and ran great. So maybe something in the ignition ?
The CEL is on so I tried to hook up my scanner to it but it wouldnt link up to the car, so maybe a ecu problem?

Just not real familiar with Audi, I am with hondas just not with these.

So where should I start? I havent checked for spark yet its snowing like a **** here lol.
But any common problems with these? I know some cars Im used to have a main relay that just goes out, the car will crank but will never fire up.

Thanks sorry for the long read
Old 04-08-2016, 05:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well the timing belt is broken. So idk if the valves were hit or not, chances are prob gonna part this thing out
Old 04-09-2016, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

You didn't mention how many miles on the car, or any other vital stats. If you have the ability, it would be worth trying a new belt before you junk the car. You might have gotten lucky. Don't know how much you have invested but for a couple of hundred bucks and a few hours of your time you might have a running car again. Depending on where you source the material, a cam lock tool and crank shaft lock should be about $200 and a new timing belt is $35- $100. If you don't know the mechanical history of the car a complete timing belt kit (water pump, thermostat, idlers, etc,) $300-$500. I'm just saying that if it was me, and I didn't have much in the car I would be tempted to try throwing a new belt on it, and giving it a try. When the belts shear teeth and jump it is most commonly during acceleration or deceleration. A lot depends on how quickly the motor was shut down. When all is said and done if after a new belt it still doesn't run you can still part it out. You get it running you can always regroup and get reman heads or make further repairs. Lots of parts out there thanks to the internet. Just beware of foreign (especially Chinese) knock-off parts. At the top of the page on this site is a vendor tab. It lists a lot of sources for parts and services, with links to their sites.
Old 04-09-2016, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 64 Likes on 63 Posts

Keep in mind he kept trying to start it. with valves not moving I'm sure he kept repeatedly whacking the valves. But a belt only would be a good project just to see. You never know.
Old 04-09-2016, 02:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well he said it died at idle but who knows. My brother has a bite scope. Gonna see what I can find. If positions look ok gonna pop a belt on it. Watched some vids on how to change it.
Not to bad looking of a car.
Name:  1FB39376-EBAE-42FC-8481-730333ED6F87_zpsi8psp9fg.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  328.9 KB
Name:  E1C8275F-0031-48A7-B67E-ED238E3607A9_zps9vtldqaw.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  197.6 KB
Old 04-09-2016, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

That was kind of the point I was attempting to make. Valves probably got bent but since it was known going in that it wasn't running it could be worth a shot. Not much more investment to find out. I would think someone picking up a non-running car had some plans for trying to get it going again.
Old 04-09-2016, 03:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Harleyguy
That was kind of the point I was attempting to make. Valves probably got bent but since it was known going in that it wasn't running it could be worth a shot. Not much more investment to find out. I would think someone picking up a non-running car had some plans for trying to get it going again.
I didn't know why it wasn't running when I bought it. Guy said it just stopped running. If I bore it and portions have marks I'm not going to put a belt on it.
Yes my intentions were to get it running hoping it was something like a fuel pump that went out.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well i ran a bore scope down the plug holes . I didnt see anything really,nothing as in shiny marks or dents. Seen alo0t of carbon build up, im guessing from crapy gas. So think im gonna try to put a belt on it see what happens.

Ive watched a few vids on youtube about changing the belt, but any tips or tricks?
Old 04-13-2016, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Borrow or otherwise acquire the cam lock tool to secure alignment/ timing of the motor. This is essential because if either cam is off by as much as one tooth on the belt the engine will not run well if it starts. This tool is readily available from a lot of sources. Might be able to pick one up on E Bay for a good price. Carbon buildup could be caused by a lot of things. Excess idling, burning oil, weak ignition, bad gas, etc. Since you have the plugs out, what kind of shape are they in? If they are really bad you might want new ones right away. Otherwise if cost is an issue, try the belt replacement first. If you get it running then go for new plugs and probably coil packs. You might be able to run the VIN # past the dealer to get some maintenance history. CARFAX may have some of that info as well.
Old 04-13-2016, 06:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I thhink my friend might have the tool, if not ill figure something out.
The car has alot of miles i think around 250k, now if its the original motor im unsure, the motor it self was that dirty itself so it could been changed somehwere along those miles hard to say.
The plugs were brownish some carbon build up on them (Ill try and gert a pic later) but they all loooked the same, so thats good lol
I went ahead and ordered the belt replacement kit so if it runs after the belt swap ect ect it ewill have new parts on it lol.

Quick Reply: 98' A6 quattro wont start