A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

A6 2.7T, excessive road noise and lousy windscreen wipers

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2002, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A6 2.7T, excessive road noise and lousy windscreen wipers

After five weeks and about 4500 miles behind the wheel I have only two things to complain about:

1. Windscreen wipers. As I mentioned on day one, this new wiper design comes straight from hell, imho. Weather has been beautiful and sunny for the last month or so here in southern Finland so I almost forgot how much the wipers suck. Now, after two days of rain I'm totally pissed about them. I'm going to visit the local Audi dealer and ask them about the wipers. I had excellent wipers both on my A3 and TT. These "things" leave the windscreen all wet and full of stripes, no matter how well I clean them. Aaargh...

2. Road noise. I have to say I'm somewhat disappointed at the noise level. I'm still running on stock 215/55 Michelin Pilot Primacy tires and they make a LOT of noise on rougher surfaces. On silky smooth road the car is very quiet but even the slightest change in the road surface seems to generate extra noise. I can hear both high-frequency noise (coming from front tires) and low-frequency noise (coming basically from everywhere). I mentioned this to the salesman who sold me the car and he said they are happy to change the tires, but according to reviews I've read, the Primacys are supposed to be quiet tires. I drove my dad's BMW 523 touring today and it is sooo quiet compared to the A6 - and even with wider tires. Is this normal or should I have the car checked? I wasn't expecting the A6 to be this noisy.

Opinions/experiences?

Luckily no other complaints, everything else is working perfectly and I love the car. I'm still waiting for the Abt chip. My '03 engine ecu is so new that the software isn't yet completed for the chip. It's strange how the car seems to become slower and slower every week

Pete
Old 09-14-2002, 12:52 PM

Default Re: A6 2.7T, excessive road noise and lousy windscreen wipers

I've had the same problem with my windshield wipers, plus they make a lot of noise. I had them put a new set on right after I bought the car then again at my 5000 mile service. When I bring it in for the 10000 service I will be more demanding.
Old 09-15-2002, 12:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: A6 2.7T, excessive road noise and lousy windscreen wipers

Agree on the windscreen wipers. They suck big time. I'm just happy we don't get much rain in Alberta, Canada.
With regard to the tires - I have Yokohama AVS db and they are remarkably quiet. Have some problems regarding "feathering" at about 15,000Km. You only notice the slight humm on very smooth pavement. It is noticable because the tires are usually very quiet. They also give very good performance and I also use them in the winter. Not great in deep snow but acceptabe.
Old 09-16-2002, 06:02 AM

Default A lot of the streaking can be from contaminates on the windshield.

There is a service bulletin that recommends using a clay bar to clean the windshield. I find that using glass polish with a machine buffer works better than that. I use the more agressive of the two polishes that Griot's Garage carries.

After cleaning it up that way, I find that applying the PPG glass treatment Aquapel will keep the windshield streaks from returning. It is like the Rain-X treatment, except it lasts 6 months, doesn't screw up the wiper blades, and doesn't have that "leaves film of water behind the blades" effect.

I still have the wiper blades replaced twice a year anyways.

- Tom
Old 09-16-2002, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: A lot of the streaking can be from contaminates on the windshield.

Yup, normally I would clean the windshield first before complaining about the wipers but this A6 is new and the windshield is very clean.

Well, I'm getting new wiper blades (free of charge, of course) so let's see if that helps. The salesman and the service guy hadn't heard anything like this happening before and there's no Audi service bulletin saying anything about possible problems with these new wipers.

Pete
Old 09-16-2002, 03:43 PM

Default Mine went from new to needing the polish treatment with about 2000 miles of driving.

Try the wipers, but I expect the glass needs some care. I don't know what it is that I have been getting on my various car's windshields the past ten years or so, but I don't remeber these kinds of problems 15 - 20 years ago. I expect were getting stuff from either the newer gas/oil additives out the tailpipes of our fellow drivers or stuff kicked up off the road from the newer tire formulations.

I tried every kind of cleaner before I discovered how polising helped. And I really am sold on Aquapel to help keep the windshield and wipers streak free.

Good luck with the new wiper blades. If they don't work out very long, try polishing.

- Tom