A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

A6 vs. a tire on the fwy.

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2003, 08:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A6 vs. a tire on the fwy.

On Sat., while heading west towards S.F. on I-80, I just avoided an accident around the Hilltop-Richmond area. A tire, from the east-bound direction, bounced over the center divider and was diagonally heading towards me (I was in the 2nd lane from the left). The tire was bouncing (as high as the roof of my car) and it was going about 50 mph. I was driving about 70 mph and it missed me by <B>inches!!</B> Luckily, there was no one to my right, so I swerved half-way into the right lane to avoid it. And when I looked into my rear-view mirror, I could see the cars behind me braking and swerving to avoid it, too.

Afterwards, I called 9-1-1 (they actually picked up on the first ring) and reported the incident. I don't know if it caused an accident or not, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

Anyway, just thought I'd share that w/ everyone since it's not every day you see a tire bouncing on the freeway heading straight for you.
Old 11-17-2003, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Ack! That woke up the adrenial glands. You were lucky!!

That could have been a disaster! Did you see if it was on a rim or, maybe it was a retread from a truck that let loose? Even still, nice evasive moves.
Old 11-17-2003, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Whew! Glad you're OK :-)

I once had a client trade in a Camry that was pristine except for the big divot on the front bumper. Totally at odds with the people and the rest of the car. I asked them about it, and they said they had been driving up the Grapevine (mtn pass on the outskirts of LA) when a truck loaded with alliy wheels, lost the load. Apparently the road was filled with metal wheels bouncing across the freeway and downhill into oncoming traffic. The Camry folks saw some of them and dodged them, but this one just came right at them, smacked into the bumper, and then bounced over the car. Pretty scary.
Old 11-17-2003, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

probably glad to have H&amp;R's...makes swerving easier!
Old 11-17-2003, 10:40 AM

Default My wife thought the rim was still on there...

But I couldn't tell for sure. I thought the same thing you did that it may have fallen off of a truck. Plus, my older sister and her daughter were in the back seat and they saw it, too. After the call, we all thanked the Lord we avoided that disaster.

BTW, I like your sig. Stewart Little is da man...or should I say, da mouse.
Old 11-17-2003, 10:43 AM

Default Thanks. And the story you shared sounds scarier than mine...

I'm glad that they escaped w/ only minor damage to their car. Geez, going fwy. speed, then having something like rims, tires, etc. coming right at you is one of the most scariest feelings anyone could have while driving.
Old 11-17-2003, 10:45 AM

Default Yeah, the H&R w/ other upgrades did help...

And I had four people in the car, too. It did make the fast evasive action easier to control w/ the upgrades.
Old 11-17-2003, 11:44 AM

Default Very similiar thing happened to me but I didn't swerve.

Luckily, my wife had blocked me in and I had taken her Suburban that day. I never drive the suburban if I can help it! Tire came off a truck, slammed into the front right bumper and went flying. Headlight was pushed in but other than that no damage. Didn't even feel like I had hit anything. Had I been in my audi, the thing probably would have gone right through my windshield! Funny how fate works.
Old 11-17-2003, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are all scary. Good reflexes!
Old 11-17-2003, 02:41 PM

Default Wow, talk about being lucky...

It might have been worse in the Audi, you're right. Glad you were okay after the incident and it was only minor damage to the Suburban.

Quick Reply: A6 vs. a tire on the fwy.