A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

ABS AND Dreaded Triangle

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2023, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS AND Dreaded Triangle

Help; just happened to me during that stupid flood in Vermont. Left it parked outside, I never had a wet carpet before. Actually, had a couple inches of water in the rear well too, but wet up front. Enough to turn on the abs and the tringle and loose the gear shifter, for a while I couldn't even get it out of park, then stalls after start. Found a company in Fla that rebuilds and programs the TCM's guaranteed, anybody use Module Experts before. Anyone doubt I do not need to change the TCM. Don't have access to a code reader.
Old 07-16-2023, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 173 Likes on 163 Posts

Depending on your urgency, I have heard (apocryphal) stories of the TCM working after drying out for a couple of days.

Never heard of Module Experts...
Old 07-17-2023, 02:01 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by georgeb944
Depending on your urgency, I have heard (apocryphal) stories of the TCM working after drying out for a couple of days.

Never heard of Module Experts...
Would explain a couple intermittent on and off with the ABS lights the locked shifter etc.. I can only imagine, can you open the actual TCM to check for obvious damage or just the plastic box it resides in?
Old 07-17-2023, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Not this one...when I lifted the plastic box off their posts and tilted it outside the door the water ran out of it like it was an old canteen with some white flaky chalky colored water. I mean had to be almost full. inside the plastic box, X-Nay on being able to get in the module for me so I don't know how much damage was done to it, but there is some green on some contacts. Cleaned them up with a brush and some avionics cleaning compound. I know there was water in the module, as it would be forced to sprinkle a bit when coaxed a bit. Its sitting out in the sun to see it dries out this afternoon or not. Also removing the glove box is a good idea to access the trim cleanly.

Can this box be opened?

You can see the corrosion on some pins, water on the inside.
Old 07-17-2023, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Not this one...when I lifted the plastic box off their posts and tilted it outside the door the water ran out of it like it was an old canteen with some white flaky chalky colored water. I mean had to be almost full. inside the plastic box, X-Nay on being able to get in the module for me so I don't know how much damage was done to it, but there is some green on some contacts. Cleaned them up with a brush and some avionics cleaning compound. I know there was water in the module, as it would be forced to sprinkle a bit when coaxed a bit. Its sitting out in the sun to see it dries out this afternoon or not. Also removing the glove box is a good idea to access the trim cleanly.

Can this box be opened?

You can see the corrosion on some pins, water on the inside.

Needless to say it did not dry out. Read the reviews from Module experts...not going to use them if you can believe all the 1 stars. Anyone know where to get a replacement that is programmed?