A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Acoustic Park Assist

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 01:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Acoustic Park Assist

Need help diagnosing the acoustic parking assist feature;( it's the intermittent sound you are supposed to hear when backing up to make sure you avoid backing into something)
Vehicle is 2000 A-6 2.7 bi turbo.
How can I tell if one or all of the rear sensors are bad?
I get the brief tone when placing transmission in reverse but do not get any sounds as I get closer and closer to objects while backing up.
Is this something I can diagnose and fix myself without dealer involvement?
Thank you in advance,
Kurt
Old 03-07-2019, 01:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 173 Likes on 163 Posts

You will need VCDS or VAG 5051 to diagnose properly. I have attached the pertinent pages from the factory manual.
Attached Files
Old 03-08-2019, 05:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you George
Are the items you refer to, a VCDS or a VAG5051 pieces of equipment that are affordable for a do it yourselfer like me or are they for repair shops only and therefore cost prohibitive?
Also, is there any kinds of software for a laptop that would do what the above items do and that is reasonably priced?
I appreciate your help,
Thank you
Kurt
Old 03-08-2019, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Probably the most popular is the Ross Tech VCDS. They sell you a connection cable and software subscription for around $200 . It only works on PC's (laptops). Unless something has changed recently, not available for Mac. Windows machines only.
Old 03-08-2019, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I bought my VCDS from Ross Tech in 2003 to diagnose a difficult problem on my 2001 A6 2.7T and it has paid for itself many time over, not only on my cars but also on the cars of my friends. Over the years, probably has saved me $5000 in diagnostic fees. Without it, you are shooting in the dark with blanks.
Old 03-08-2019, 12:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Gentlemen,
I am 71 years old so this technology is a challenge, however I looked up the Ross Tech VCDS Lite which they claim is freeware.
Would this be good enough for me or do you think I need the paid version.
(My older cars are easier to work on, but I guess that is just me showing my age)
Kurt

Old 03-08-2019, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

George can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe you need their cable to utilize the software. "Freeware" indicates software that is maintained and developed by users' input and other sources. There are other scan tools out there but they will not read all the Audi system components. (i.e. transmission control module, ABS module, etc.) If you can handle online banking, bill pay, shop on Ebay, you can master the diagnostics with this system. The trick with technology is DO NOT guess about stuff. If you are unsure about something, stop and find the correct path to proceed. You can do this!
Old 03-09-2019, 01:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by kbunting
Gentlemen,
I am 71 years old so this technology is a challenge, however I looked up the Ross Tech VCDS Lite which they claim is freeware.
Would this be good enough for me or do you think I need the paid version.
(My older cars are easier to work on, but I guess that is just me showing my age)
Kurt
The VCDS Lite shareware might be a good way to dip your toe into the waters of VCDS.

Functions - Ross-Tech Wiki

Don't worry, Kurt, 71 is the new 50... (full disclosure, I had to take my required distribution from my IRA this year.)
Old 03-10-2019, 08:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Cheap Solution

You can buy a cheap adapter on eBay for under $10 that will work with the VCDS freeware. Like this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Cable-V...cAAOSw55FcQs5p

or just search eBay for "vcds cable". I have an '01 A6 and the ebay adapter works just fine with it. You will need a laptop to use it.

Old 03-14-2019, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I have this OBD2 adapter:
Amazon Amazon

Does anyone know if this sort of adapter will work with VCDS Lite? (assuming my windows laptop has bluetooth and I pair it successfully of course)

Quick Reply: Acoustic Park Assist