A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Are all car repair chains this negligent? (OT)

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2001, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are all car repair chains this negligent? (OT)

Had a friend visiting from out of the province, and after leaving the theatre (Planet of the Apes - excellent) I found a puddle of fluid under the rear of her car. Brake fluid, pedal goes to the floor, so only the right-side wheels brake. I drive it slowly, in low gear, hand on handbrake, to Canadian Tire to drop it off for "early service" where you write up the repair need on an envelope, drop your keys in it, and put the envelope in a slot and they get started first thing in the morning.

Get there next day, mechanic says car was unlocked with window open (it was pouring when we dropped it off). Car was broken in to, but no sign of forced entry. CD player stolen, but not the PC or anything from all the boxes in the back seat.

After thinking about it a bit, I realized the thief was able to get the envelope out of the box, use the keys to open the car, then make it look like "our mistake". The drop box is only as deep as the envelope. I was able to put in an empty envelope and get it out with gum on a stick.

So, I explained this to the manager, and after a couple phone calls and my refusing to "go half way" on absorbing the cost of the loss, we ended up with a brand new replacement portable CD player with car and AC adapter. The manager was quite accomodating - it wasn't the store's fault, it was the design of the box which is used at every Canadian Tire (or Crappy Tire as many call it). No wonder the mechanic later said "this happens here all the time" well DUH!

And, just so there's SOME Audi content here, I have a friend who has a nice 88 Audi 90 in red, he is buying a TT for his niece, and until winter comes I will lease the 90 from him. Yup, quattro 5-speed.
Old 08-23-2001, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Heh, have fun with that 130hp I5!

Shouldn't be <b>that</b> much slower than your 2.7T!

But hey, at least you're back in an Audi!
Old 08-23-2001, 11:31 AM

Default Same kind of thing happened to me in Italy

I was in a small resort town and the hotel parking was a short distance away from the hotel. As I pulled up, someone was exiting so the gate was open. I pulled in and started to unload my car as the gate closed. When we went to leave the garage, we discovered that there was no "open gate" button and no other exit! And no one was around to call for help (whatever that is in Italian).

I searched around the relatively small garage and found a small mailbox on the wall. I looked into the slot and saw room keys. So, in order to get in or out, you had to have a key. I broke into the box, got a key, and we were able to escape!
Old 08-23-2001, 01:27 PM

Default Oh did I forget to mention?

I'm putting in a supercharger, nitrous, and I'm replacing all the body panels with fibreglass...

:-P
Old 08-23-2001, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Oliver in an Audi! All is right with the world.
Old 08-24-2001, 08:38 AM

:-D