A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Another extended warranty scenario.. (longish)

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 03:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another extended warranty scenario.. (longish)

So I've been doing some checking, here is what I found. All are post-CPO expiration plans and 50 - 75 k mi on car, A6, 2.7t. All are max year/mileage quotes

Audi extended through Fidelity - $2.5K power train only (3 yr/36k) or silver/gold/+ - $2.4 to $3.5 K (2 yr/24k.)-

Warranty Direct - power train - $2 K (5/100K) but only $6k total claims OR their major care/plus, like Audi's Gold/+ - $3.8 to $4.5K (3yr/36k)

Smart Auto Warranty (Warranty America) - $3.2 K (4yr/60k)- Platinum plan - like Audi's Gold

Extended Auto Warranty Corp - $2.1K (4ys/48K) - Supreme plan - like Audi's Silver

Anyone using any above, comments, issues?

Thanks in Advance
Old 11-16-2006, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I have this before and I say again..Longish

Unless the cost of buying a warranty at a dealer is twice or more than buying online/direct from warranty company..BUY from the dealer.
Almost all warranty companies have amother company that backs them financially, i-e for every contract sold, the warranty company is supposed to have a said amount of funds on hand incase more than "normal" amount of poeple filed a claim. That said, most warranty companies like to have their mother companies based outside U.S, usually Central America.
The warranty companies keep their original names, but every few years the mother companies are defaulting on teh contracts by filing for bankruptcies..as long as they are based outside U.S, its almost impossible for a single consumer to go after them.
Now if you buy the contract form a dealer, the State laws protect you, the consumer. Even if the mother company goes under..the dealer, who made commision on the contract, has to honor the warranty for teh length of teh contract.
There is no way you shoudl risk your 2500-3500 warranty investment buy trying to save 300-500 now only to find out the warranty company went under, or is refusing to honor a covered item. IF you bought the cantract from a dealer, they made money off that contract, and at the end of the day, they will have to cover the repair even if the warranty company denies the claim.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Have you tried Carchex.com? I have a contact that you should try before making any decsions...

Contact Ryan Porter in the Extended Warranties Dept. at carchex.com. Tell him that Mike Mahady sent you.

RPorter@carchex.com<ul><li><a href="http://carchex.com/warranties/index.asp">Carchex.com</a></li></ul>
Old 11-16-2006, 04:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Understood ... more

Just checking to see if anyone has used any of the ones I posted, Audi will only go out 2 or 3 yrs max where some others will do 4 years for about the same money and/or less. I too have concerns about the future longevity of these other co., until I hear from someone who has personal experience. That's what the forum is for.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Not so sure, state laws vary and just selling as an agent seems unlikely to impart liability. Maybe

in CA or some other consumer protective states.
The Audi contract is backed by JM&amp;A - a big FL operation, lots of wealth - but it's not Audi or the dealer on the line in the end even though Audi brands it (and won't stand for a tarnished image, presumably).
For others, it's partly about how well you know or trust the company or ultimate insurer behind them.
Generally, stay away from INclusionary (listed perils) coverage. Go for EXclusionary, all perils with some exclusions, coverage - or you could really regret it later when an expensive but not listed part breaks. So eliminate those options, IMHO.
Options partly depend upon the state you live in and how far past original delivery date or 50,000 miles your car is at now. You've done some research, here's another link:
http://www.goldkeywarranty.com/home.htm
Let me know if I may help.
J.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:49 AM

Default "Mother Company"

Boy that was interesting.

The "mother company" is the insurance company backing the warranty. Find out and check who it is. Many are solid US based firms, some are not so solid US companies and a few are offshore scam artists. Use AM BEST to check their financial ratings.

I bought mine through Triple A - but that no more than gives me some reasonable pricing etc. I got the contract before buying the insurance, checked to see who "owned" the liability and checked them out. If I have a problem it is with the insurance comapny and they are rated A++ by Moodys, S&amp;P and AM Best.

ONLY use a highly rated insurer and you will be 100% fine. Their financial stability will be better than that of AoA...by a few thousand miles ;-)

SC