A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Anyone debate A6 2.7T vs. S4 and buy one?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2000, 11:22 AM
Jim B

Default Anyone debate A6 2.7T vs. S4 and buy one?

Similar price so wondering about pros and cons.

Any thoughts appreciated.
Old 01-16-2000, 03:47 PM
DennisD

Default Re: Anyone debate A6 2.7T vs. S4 and buy one?

I have a '99A6Q 2.8L with a Wett chip(also have an NSX). The reason I leased it was because the A4 (March 99) was just too small for the family, havinh needed a second car for the family.
I recently drove a S4 and then a A6 2.7L. I hated the linkage on the A6 and would opt for the tip again. The S4 was much nicer. I personally felt the S4 a little to abusive (don't forget I have a modified NSX for that) compared to the A6 2.7L. I didn't try the sport pkg and would definitely go for it as the stock suspension just too soft. It depends what you want in your car. I felt the 2.7LA6 had great potential to boost to 320hp easily and would love to hear from A6 owners who have modified their A6 2.7L
Dennis
Old 01-17-2000, 04:28 AM
Mac

Yes, tough time making my mid up. I previously owned an 1996 A4 (2.8)before getting a 1998 A6. The 1998 A6 was very comfortable, but not much fun driving.

As my lease approached its end, I ordered a A6 2.7T tiptronic, but had to wait in order to test drive. In the meantime, I drove a S4, and was very impressed. When a 2.7T did come in, I test drove the 2 cars back to back. I really like the 2.7T. It did everything well with the exception of handling & body roll. Ultimately, I selected the S4,however. It was more fun, albeit in a very small package.

If a real sport package existed at the time, I might have selected the A6 2.7T instead. Both are excellent cars. It really depends on your priorities. The S4 is a blast, but it is small and very discreet. The A6 will probably garner more attention (from an older crowd) & provide a higher degree of comfort and space.

Good Luck.
Old 01-17-2000, 06:39 AM
William

Hello:

I purchased a 2.7T and looked at an S4(albeit briefly). The 2.7T is no sloth. It has plenty of power and is very quick. Is it as quick as the S4? No. Will it satisfy your lust for performance while balancing the reality of your lifestyle or intended use? Yes. Does it have room to spare ? Oh yes.

The S4 is very appealing because of the performance, styling, and overall unique quality. The 2.7T is very appealing due to the unique styling, performance, and overall comfort (granted the S4 is not "uncomfortable"). However, in the final analysis it would not have made sense for me because my primary objective was to purchase a new auto with the following:

1. Quattro or similar system in a non-SUV.
2. Vehicle design, fit, and finish.
3. Interior comfort and cargo capacity.
4. Powerplant output commensurate with vehicle
size.
5. Service plan, warranty, and fuel econ.
6. Price under $50K (I purchased).

My research produced the following conclusion:

1. Audi
2. A4,S4,A6, A8
3. A6, A8
4. 2.7T or 4.2
5. Audi again
6. 2.7T now or wait until end of year and bargain
on a 2000 4.2.

There has not been one occasion where I have said to myself, "maybe I should have gone with the S4". So, for me based on my objective/expectations the 2.7T is everything and more. If you are honest with yourself about why you really want the car and not fall prey to outside influences (friends, neighbors, staff, constituents, wife/husband (PC), you will make the right choice.

The way I see it, you cannot make a decision you will regret, unless your spouse hates either car. Go with what you want which I conjecture would be the S4.

Good luck and I hope you are ultimately satisfied.

William
Old 01-17-2000, 06:56 AM
William

Default Sorry, forgot to comment on the most common performance issues

I'll make this quick:

1. Handling - Above average, more than sufficient for 95% of driving style/ability. Be careful of people providing regurgitated magazine reviews in the form of opinions. Gotta drive it yourelf.

2. Transmission (Tip)- Above average, more than sufficient for 95% of driving style/ability. Plus if you are aggressive it will adapt.

3. Body roll - I do not know If I am driving a different 2.7T than anyone else but the body roll is negligible and you never feel as if you are going to "tip over", two wheel stand, or get into an unannounced spin/slide.

4. Float - Floats less than 99% of like vehicles.

5. Power - Will out pace many sports cars and most sedans in stop light drag racing which is usually the closest most honest drivers get to actual racing. (anyone here that truly knows about performance driving/tuning is willing to do it on a track and can give detailed info)
Old 01-17-2000, 05:26 PM
David

Default S4 if you're single, A6 if you cart around 2 or more passengers often, or....

If you primarily are alone in your car and have considered purchasing a sports car (Boxter, Z3, M3, 280SLK, etc.) then the S4 is for you. You loose nothing in terms of performance, you gain a lot in stealth and luxury, and you can take more than 1 person in your car with you on occasion.

But, the S4 is a bit small for four full-sized adults. If you move a lot of people around in your car regularly, it's a bit small. The A6 is most likely your best bet. Thought I don't hang out on this forum regularly, it seems that through some chipping and suspension tuning, you can get an A6 to have very close handling and performance to the S4.

Of course, now there are all these rumors running around that the S6 will be coming the the States. If that is the case, then jump on it! That will most likely be my next car in a year or two. S6, Multitronic (hopefully by then), 4.2 V8, 340 bhp. That will be one heck of a car!

As others have already said, you won't loose either way you go. Both cars are fantastic. How many people you want to move around comfortably is the main difference, as I see it.

Good luck!

-- David
2000 Silver S4 still getting high from the smell of leather each time I get in (even after 5,200 miles)
Old 01-18-2000, 06:08 PM
Dale W.

Default Considered both - bought both. (long)

Very happy with both cars. They are fantastic. My wife's the primary driver of the A6. It's a great car. It handles well in all situations except aggressive driving on mtn. roads, is quick, quiet, comfortable and 6' 0" passenger behind me doesn't put knee in back of my seat.(I'm 6'1") The S4 is an incredible machine - quicker than most sports cars. Not as quiet or comfortable as the A6, but much more refined than an M3 or 911 (former cars). Drive them both back to back, before you make up your mind.
Old 01-20-2000, 10:45 PM
rickp

Default If there's a shred of driver passion in you.............

S4, S4, S4!!!

I bought a 98 2.8 A6 for my business partner.....nice car.........

I traded my 98 2.8 A4 is for an S4......WOW!!!

Rick 00//S4