A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Anyone notice and increase in road noise and jiggliness?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2001, 06:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone notice and increase in road noise and jiggliness?

I have about 11k on my 2.7t and for the last couple of weeks have noticed that the the car is now more sensitive than ever to bumps and such on the roads. It's getting downright bonejarring. Also have noticed that interior noise is alot louder than even my Jeep Grand Cherokee now.

Have not made any upgrades other than a chip. It's just that the car seems so much more loose than ever. It used to have that solid feeling but now i cringe when I go over a big bump because the car loses its composure.

Anyone know what could be causing this? Checked the tire pressure and even lowered it a bit to see if it softens the ride, no change.

Going in for service next week, what should we look for?
Old 04-05-2001, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default No change here - at 4K

Have you recently changed from winter to summer tires? If not, did you adjust tire pressures during Winter? If not, as the temps fell the tire pressures did, too, which would have made the ride a bit smoother. Of course, if there is no Winter where you live please disregard the above.
Old 04-05-2001, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default not at 18K

I had some jiggliness when my tire pressures got out of whack in the winter - I had a slow leak due to a puncture that took 4 days to deflate and spent about a week trying to find it. During that week the car's character changed everyday with the inflation condition of the leaking tire. I got the tire fixed and squared the pressures and everything went back to normal. Squeaks and rattles have not gotten any worse.

What I have noticed is that every other car I get in has gotten noisier. My old Camry, rental cars on trips - they all seem much noisier now. I sometimes wonder if my A6 2.7T is not as crisp as when I bought it - then I travel and drive a Taurus - and when I get back the A6 feels wonderful again.

What I have noticed this winter is rough performance on cold mornings for the first 100 yards or so - it did not do this when old. I may try some fuel line cleaner.

Peter
Old 04-05-2001, 07:57 AM

Not at 26K
Old 04-05-2001, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tire pressure could be an issue as the other guys have said. As I recall, you have lowered your car

Sometimes if the car is lowered aggressively and the shock/spring combo is not quite right, the shocks can wear quickly. Most often the car just gets floppy, but at other times strange things can happen. You can't tell by bouncing on one corner of the car. Best thing is to pull a shock out.

Try living with the loaner car for a week. Might change your perspective;-) My car feels faster, smoother and more tuneful after just one day of deprevation.
Old 04-05-2001, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Same observation regarding noise

I found that after I had gotten "used to" the PSK suspension I thought it was getting a bit more harsh. I began to notice the noise, mostly, as I drove over irregularities in the road surface. Whenever I spend time in another car I realize that the A6 is just as good as when it was new. I think it is mostly a perception thing, as the A6 is otherwise a very quiet car - the suspension "sound" just seems a bit out of place.
Old 04-05-2001, 08:57 AM

Default Re: Anyone notice and increase in road noise and jiggliness?

Just a little out there, but have you been through a winter to spring transition with the vehicle yet? Do you live in the frost belt? Could it be roads are in rough shape after the winter and you are noticing that...
Old 04-05-2001, 09:14 AM

I love in Houston so we only have two seasons: Summer and Summer Light
Old 04-05-2001, 09:15 AM

No, car not lowered but I do have a chip. Does the suspension have anything to do with a chip?
Old 04-05-2001, 09:16 AM

I might have to bring it in to the dealer so they will give me a Corolla or something...

Quick Reply: Anyone notice and increase in road noise and jiggliness?