A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Anyone test/repair air bag modules?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default The $32 fix

Originally Posted by glenmac
Thanks for the lead, contacted them, they can only remove code if the car was in a wreck and airbags activated, can not troubleshoot a dead module.
I went through this DTC 65535 issue a year ago and then again a couple of months ago. Found an outfit in Sudbury Ontario that reset the module last year. They were the only people I could find who would reset this specific fault. Worked for a year and then the same code came back. I did not want to go through the process of tearing apart the console again only to have it re-occur in another year.

Found a voodoo box on the internet that said it would fix it. Cost me $32. It worked. The light has been off for 2 months. (Hope this does not jinx it) If you want to put the original module back in place this might work for you. No promises.

VAG OBD2 II Airbag Crash Resetter Tool for Audi VW from Tmart.com Google this and it will show up. Or search this forum for my original post on 2/4/2013 title "recurring DTC 65535"

good luck
Old 04-09-2013, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by clancy
I went through this DTC 65535 issue a year ago and then again a couple of months ago. Found an outfit in Sudbury Ontario that reset the module last year. They were the only people I could find who would reset this specific fault. Worked for a year and then the same code came back. I did not want to go through the process of tearing apart the console again only to have it re-occur in another year.

Found a voodoo box on the internet that said it would fix it. Cost me $32. It worked. The light has been off for 2 months. (Hope this does not jinx it) If you want to put the original module back in place this might work for you. No promises.

VAG OBD2 II Airbag Crash Resetter Tool for Audi VW from Tmart.com Google this and it will show up. Or search this forum for my original post on 2/4/2013 title "recurring DTC 65535"

good luck
I trust none of that. The reason 65535 occurs is because the flash inside the CR16 starts to get corrupted. It does this simply because the memory bank gets damaged. Its a manufacturer fault. You can restore the flash, but it will die again. Only way to solve this is basically another SRS module.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You may well be right. You certainly sound like you know what you are talking about. All I have is anecdotal. I tried it; it worked. If it comes back, I will try the voodoo box again. It just plugs into the test port used for the VCDS. Took me less than a minute to turn off the airbag light. If it eventually quits working, meaning it no longer turns off the light, then I am out $32. Then I will consider buying another module.

I appreciate the info about what is happening. Sounds like the only long term fix is another SRS module.

I will report back if my cheap voodoo fix fails.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like that box pretty much just reflashes the processor! Well it is a solution. I'd say keep using it until the SRS module quits. No point in buying another one if this one is still semi-alive!
Old 04-16-2013, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by clancy
You may well be right. You certainly sound like you know what you are talking about. All I have is anecdotal. I tried it; it worked. If it comes back, I will try the voodoo box again. It just plugs into the test port used for the VCDS. Took me less than a minute to turn off the airbag light. If it eventually quits working, meaning it no longer turns off the light, then I am out $32. Then I will consider buying another module.

I appreciate the info about what is happening. Sounds like the only long term fix is another SRS module.

I will report back if my cheap voodoo fix fails.
Well, the airbag light came back on last weekend. I plugged in the voodoo box and pushed the button, 15 seconds later the airbag light went out. Back in business. Still cheaper and easier than a new module.