A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Asking for Canadian input

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Asking for Canadian input

I am in the market for an avant and hoped some people here could provide info on the Canadian model feature differences from what is listed in the model guide.

What do I want?
I am looking for an avant for under $10,000. Some things I'd like to have are:

rear heated seats
ESP
CC and radio controls on the wheel

I beleive some of those options didn't appear until after 2000 model yr afaik. I was also told that Canadain avants weren't available from '98 thru to '04, that it skipped some years.

I'm also guessing that for the price I'm willing to pay, I wont get a 3.0 V6. It doesn't seem to be that big of a deal, meaning the 2.8 is a maintenance **** or something like that... in fact the 2.8 seems solid from what I've read.

Any and all advice is appreciated.

P.S. I posted this Q in the Canadian forum and they told me to come here. So the expectations have been set! Lets see some answers!
Old 01-20-2008, 02:29 PM
Keeper of the Cash

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default $10k for a C5 wagon? Is that possible yet?

Or is that that $10k Canadian?

Eh?
Old 01-20-2008, 04:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default a comment....

It sounds from what your describing, your looking into importing one from the states. You might check the list, lately they have been clamping down on imports. Porsche and Ferrari vehicles seem to get a bit of a pass. They don't seem to approve of Audi wagons for some reason(bumpers likely).
Audi's imports into Canada as a market share have been somewhat limited, so selection is the same in-country. In that price range , with the options listed, you might look at a used A8(1997-2000).<ul><li><a href="http://riv.ca">importing an Audi into CA</a></li></ul>
Old 01-20-2008, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default info

If you find a car under 10000 then be prepare for fix ups, if you good with tools, and can fix anything yourself then you good to go, but don't jump to anything that is under 10000, some of those cars are round down to last breath, they look good in picture but mechanically might not be..

you can find Passat near that price, it will be easy on your wallet,
Old 01-20-2008, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default it is possible to buy a car under 10k

but the car might not be in great mechanical shape,
I have bought mine for 5k us in Germany from US Army Service man, he owned the car from new, when I bought it had 101000 miles and only thing that he did was oil change, and some repairs under warranty. For that price I didn't car what shape the car was , as long the engine was running I was happy. I did however replaced a lot of things myself, saved a lot of $$$$ on labour otherwise it would cost me more to repair through mechanic then I paid for the car.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

... I bought mine for 5700$ last January
Old 01-20-2008, 05:55 PM
Keeper of the Cash

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, prices are really falling.
Old 01-20-2008, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default no point to import from the US when they sell the car in Canada

I just don't know when certain options became available. Like ESP, etc. I guess it doesn't matter. I'll go without the options if it means I'll get a desirable price.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default i fixor my own stuffs, t-belts jobs etc. No problems there :)

I have a 95 Passat now. I want a quattro, plus this Passat was donated to me two years ago in non running condition. I accepted the car not realizing how truely messed up it was. Right now I have an issue in cyl 2, sparkplug gets build up on it. I'm expecting an issue with the valve stem sleve as I replaced the seals already, but I know this cyl exhaust valve got mashed by the piston in a freak timing chain accident.

Anyway, I've put off the quattro long enough. Its time I bring one home and the A6 avant is what would do me best. I guess I'm just wondering how lucky I'll be scoring the nice to have options if I end up grabbing a 99 or 2000 model.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:07 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default If you are prepared to pull heads, then you can handle most of what else might pop up.

QTR makes a massive difference. When I lived in Banff, I had a 20v 90. My boss was former RCMP, and had ties to local police. When cars got stuck and the tow trucks were busy, I got the call to come out and pull cars from the ditch. It isn't going to over-come physics, but it can make a massive difference;-)

Quick Reply: Asking for Canadian input