A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Auto Spies column on why Audis sales are suffering

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2003, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Auto Spies column on why Audis sales are suffering

I really don't agree, but the guy has some points.<ul><li><a href="http://www.imakenews.com/autospies/e_article000140218.cfm">Click me!</a></li></ul>
Old 04-04-2003, 07:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Auto Spies column on why Audis sales are suffering

They inply that the A4 is what Audi should be about. While I love the outside of the A4, the inside looks way to cheapo for me. At least the 02 1.8T's I have had as loaners (one of which I am actually driving today!)

Audi makes great cars, they just need to sponsor more events and maybe contract some big name celebrities to drive the cars, etc. so that the image changes. We all know Audi's name recognition is way improved and is already being seen as a great carmaker. Being seen in the same light as BMW and Merecedes is closer than people think IMHO. The new A8 will go a long way to acheiving the status Audi deserves. But it won't happen until the dealerships offer better service and look a bit nicer!!
Old 04-04-2003, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I agree, the new B6 A4s interior are cheaper looking,

That is one of the reasons i'm keeping my b5
Old 04-04-2003, 08:31 AM

Default Sorry I have to disagree....

I've owned a B5 and a B6 and the B6 kas a much nicer interior. I thought the same at first, but after owning the B6 now, it is much nicer than the B5
Old 04-04-2003, 09:08 AM

Default And here's what Fishtrousers thinks about falling VW sales in the US

Can't say, my eye. How do you spell C-O-I-L-P-A-C-K in German?

"The situation in the U.S. is very depressing, but we'd rather sell less than give rebates" as competitors are doing, Chief Executive Bernd Pischetsrieder at a press conference. "Whether it's the war, rebates from other companies or the recall, I can't say."
Old 04-04-2003, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I agree with the comment about M-B service.

Friends with an ML 320 have had a lot of trouble with it. Because of the way the warranty was administered by the service department and the loaner program, they still love the vehicle and would buy another Mercedes.

AutoWeek had similar experience with their long term test of the C-Class Wagon (see this weeks issue). Despite an incredible number of problems over the past year, they still liked the car and seemed to recommend it because of the M-B service.

We have had only one warranty issue with our Audis and it was handled reasonably well. I can see, however, that, if Audi doesn't at least come within range of the M-B level of service, they will certainly lose repeat customers.
Old 04-04-2003, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default How about updating the product line. The bread and butter cars....

... Golf, Jetta and Passat are getting kind of tired. The new Altima, Maxima and Accord are probably eating them alive.
Old 04-04-2003, 09:14 AM

Default Among non-car people, yes

Even though Japanese interiors are dreck (esp. that retro-disco chrome thing that Nissan is into), Nissan is almost always going to be a better value than a VW.

However, no matter how much they match up logically or on paper, they sure don't drive the same. For someone who can tell the difference, it's worth the difference. Even putting up with coilpacks and low-grade dealer/service experiences.
Old 04-04-2003, 09:18 AM

Default Yes, MB service tends to be better

I think what the letter writer is overlooking is the lease factor. If you lease for the term of the warranty (which is now common), who gives a flying doowah about bad trade-in/residual values and the cost of repairs after the warranty expires?

Frankly, in the price range of MB/BMW/Audi, leasing has to be very, very common so all the other stuff goes out the window. The service experience during ownership, however, still needs work. AoA knows this ... they have to, don't they?
Old 04-04-2003, 09:21 AM

Default I agree in disagreeing....

no comparison btw B5 and B6 interior or exterior.

B6 much better looking car!!

Quick Reply: Auto Spies column on why Audis sales are suffering