A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Bad news re timing belt!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 12:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bad news re timing belt!

The other night I parked my car and before shutting down heard what sounded like parts of a shedding belt hitting a shroud. Next morning when I tried to start my 02 A6 it sounded distinctly different when turning over, like an engine with no resistance (compression). did not start. Had it towed to my indy who said the timing belt is broken. 3 Cylinders with perfect compression, 2 down about 20% and the last one (i think back passenger side) with no compression.
So....the belt broke while the car was not running and the damage to one cylinders valves was done while cranking the engine??? quoted about $4000 to fix. What does one do with a great car with a dead engine?
I know I will be criticized for not doing the belt earlier, Audi says the belt was replaced around 40K. 122k now.
The following users liked this post:
Audi Kid (10-06-2021)
Old 04-03-2016, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

part it out!
Old 04-03-2016, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Audi c5
part it out!
Donate it! Too bad Cash for Clunkers is not available...
Old 04-03-2016, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If it is great condition and you love it, find a shop to swap an engine in.

If you it is not, or you don't or you can't find a shop, part it out.

Too bad you tried to start it.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Not worth $4K to repair it for sure.

Originally Posted by whtAvant
The other night I parked my car and before shutting down heard what sounded like parts of a shedding belt hitting a shroud. Next morning when I tried to start my 02 A6 it sounded distinctly different when turning over, like an engine with no resistance (compression). did not start. Had it towed to my indy who said the timing belt is broken. 3 Cylinders with perfect compression, 2 down about 20% and the last one (i think back passenger side) with no compression.
So....the belt broke while the car was not running and the damage to one cylinders valves was done while cranking the engine??? quoted about $4000 to fix. What does one do with a great car with a dead engine?
I know I will be criticized for not doing the belt earlier, Audi says the belt was replaced around 40K. 122k now.
3.0 Avant quattro Car
True Market Value®
*Trade-in $1,475
*Private Party Sale $2,333
*Dealer Retail $3,763
2002 Audi A6 Wagon 3.0 Avant quattro What's it Worth?
2002 Audi A6 Wagon 3.0 Avant quattro What's it Worth?

That's not to say you couldn't do it yourself for a lot less….just pull the heads and have the bent valves replaced and do a timing belt service. You could get used/rebuilt heads on ebay for less than $1000 (no core charge) and another $300-400 for gaskets, head bolts, etc. plus the timing belt service, whole thing for under $2K.

Sounds like parting it out would be a better deal.
Old 04-05-2016, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts

yeah this is how our cars are dying now. How much money do you want to pour into a car that is 14 years old and not even worth the 4K you are getting quoted to fix it after it is repaired.

like pointed out above even 2K is beyond the repair cost for me if it were my car, and that is with doing a lot of scrounging and work yourself.

in comparison I just paid 3K for a 2006 A4 2.0T . waiting for my behemoth to die as yours did and picked up a spare car just in case. . If it were a manual 2.7T it is a bit more desirable but my honest opinion is part it out If you have the time patience and energy, or just get it towed out of your driveway and move on.
Old 04-05-2016, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The issue is the ones for sale are at best "average" and often worse (Being sold because there is at least a hint of a problem).
So you buy one for $1500 to $2500 assuming you need 1K in suspension arms and brakes, plus $1k in a timing belt water pump, etc., plus $1k in exhaust, axles and oil seals.

But if you like (love) your car and you know all that stuff (less the timing belt etc.) is good or recently done, then $2K is not bad to have a good car back on the road.

Just sit down and give it a long hard thought.
List what has been done, and what it needs, and then make a decision.
Old 04-05-2016, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts

its a 14 year old Audi .. there is ALWAYS a hint of a problem
Old 04-05-2016, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default agree with this logic

Originally Posted by N_Jay
The issue is the ones for sale are at best "average" and often worse (Being sold because there is at least a hint of a problem).
So you buy one for $1500 to $2500 assuming you need 1K in suspension arms and brakes, plus $1k in a timing belt water pump, etc., plus $1k in exhaust, axles and oil seals.

But if you like (love) your car and you know all that stuff (less the timing belt etc.) is good or recently done, then $2K is not bad to have a good car back on the road.

Just sit down and give it a long hard thought.
List what has been done, and what it needs, and then make a decision.

Largely depends on the overall condition of your car aside from the current issue. If you have kept it up maintenance wise (suspension, brakes, steering, other engine components, etc.) and you want to continue driving it then repair. Or, would you prefer to spend several thousand more for a replacement? Most any used car under $10k (not wanting to open a debate on this amount) will have issues. Do you want to buy new issues (a cheap worn out used car), repair your issues, or spend enough to get something without issues?
Old 04-05-2016, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Buy a pair of used cylinder heads from a wrecker or ebay. Probably 200 a head. Then just have them replaced. gasket kit is 150 bucks, 300 bucks for a timing belt kit. Fluids, the labor is 19 hours. So about 1700 bucks. So really you could fix it for alittle over 2500 which is cheaper than another car!

Quick Reply: Bad news re timing belt!