A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Bizarre fuel and temp gauges behavior 2003 A6 3.0

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 03:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bizarre fuel and temp gauges behavior 2003 A6 3.0

About every three or four starts, the fuel gauge will be in its minimum position (slightly left of "E") despite having plenty of gas in the tank. When I then shut off the car, a few seconds later, the fuel gauge needle swings, at moderate speed, clockwise to a 6:00 (6:00 on the face of a clock) position, rests a few seconds, makes a few soft clicking sounds, then swings, more quickly, counterclockwise back the below "E" position. Two or three starts later, it suddenly comes to life, registering as it should. When the actual fuel level is low enough to trigger the low fuel alarm, it does so, regardless of the behavior of the gauge. That makes me think the sending unit and sensor are working. This is very repeatable. Also, for the first 15 or so minutes of driving, the coolant temperature needle stays put at slightly below "C" and around the 15 - 20 minute mark, it slowly comes to life, rising to the mid-point on the gauge. Then, on occasion, it will slowly fall all the way to the left, below "C" position, stay there for between 30 seconds and a minute, then slowly creep back to the center position. It may stay centered for the duration of the driving, or it may repeat. The rest of the gauges in the cluster are fine and the center LCD display is perfect. (this cluster was replaced under warranty by Audi about 8 years ago). The behavior is the strangest thing I've seen in this car. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-27-2019, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Simple answer......contact Module Masters or a similar company. The reputable companies can repair the instrument cluster for a reasonable fee compared to taking it to Audi and getting it replaced with a new one. Module Masters is my personal preference and they have a stellar guarantee as well as good and quick service. Call 'em and explain the problem and see what they can do for you.
Old 02-27-2020, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Just got the 2020 A4 (an upgrade from my 2008 Honda Accord V6 - I bought brand new then and loved it for the past 12 years).

I love the new 2020 Audi A4. I test drove tons of cars and considered car reviews, consumer reports and what I ascetically liked. I didn't want a new Accord. The design was uninspired and (in my opinion) uglier than my old accord. But when I drove the Audi A4 the wow factor was definitely there. So for me the 2020 Audi A4 is pretty much perfect. It drives better, it has all the updated screens, apple car play and such. AND much better gas mileage.

My takeaway from the Audi design. Sporty and conservative. Not conservative in a bad way. But in a way that some of the other cars can't achieve. It has kind of an old timey conservative look that gives it character. Let's compare to brief cases. You can get a Tumi briefcase that is very well built and as all the latest designs in pockets but its made of fashy material and looks all new. OR you can choose a briefcase from Bosca that is conservative, refined and yet edgy. Audi is more like Bosca. Other car designs are more like Tumi. It really depends on your style and none of them are bad.

Touch screen - no brainer, it's the way of the future. I'm very glad they didn't put the climate controls and such into it like the Subaru Outback did. So that is a huge win and I don't like the old timey dial. Audi's touch screen is refined. Not cartoonish in its design and is easy to use once you are familiar with it's layout.

Front end design - I love the new LED lights. It's got an edge but nothing flashy. The grill is large but not over stated like the Lexus (which I think is very ugly)
Side design - I liked this because it is very similar to my 2008 accord and my accord even now looks nicer than some new cars. In fact that was one of the things I was disappointed with in some of the cars was my thinking of "is this car nicer than my 2008 accord" and most were not significant upgrades.
Back design - I love boxy look of the backend and the what I really love it that it has a complexity to it that makes it interesting and not garish.
Drive - AMAZING! It's a huge upgrade over my accord in handling, suspension, motor feedback/speed (this Audi does not like slow) and just overall excitement to drive.
New tech - My old accord was all manual. I was my back-up camera (turn head around). So the new tech is helpful and not intrusive. Exactly what I would want.

Overall I am very very happy with my new Audi and would recommend it to everyone. Everyone that has seen it loves it.

Suggestion: If the A4 is getting boring for you it might be the same issue I was having with new accord. The design inside was generally like my old accord. The drive was ok. And the design didn't attract me. Unfortunately to get that new romance in a car I had to seek out a different model and in this case brand.

Hope this helps someone!
Old 02-27-2020, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Disregard, wrong area. My login screen returned me to this area instead of the a4 forums.
Old 02-27-2020, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Rut roh!!!!!