A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Body Damage on my new CPO

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Body Damage on my new CPO

I pulled the spare on my new (to me) 02 A6 4.2, and I notice some slight paint overspray in the well. I start really looking down the sides of the car and can now see slight ripples around the drivers side rear flare. I looked this thing up and down before I bought and didn't see it, but it is definately something. Any recourse because it is a CPO?
Bummed
Old 02-26-2006, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

No restriction on a CPO car having had body work. Go talk to selling dealer. See what develops.
Old 02-26-2006, 05:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Only if you can prove fraud (which is difficult). CPO consists of the dealer paying a fee.

Now there is supposed to be a standard to be met, but these are just guidelines. You get an aftermarket warranty, that is all. AoA is not involved, and only coordinates the program, they don't oversee it nor guarantee anything.

Sorry to hear this, but I've seen many CPO cars with body work and obvious problems sitting on dealer lots, esp the dealer I purchased my car from. It's buyer beware.
Old 02-26-2006, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Isn't carfax part of CPO? It was when I got mine. Carfax usually will have some type of

a guarantee.
Old 02-26-2006, 06:19 PM

Default no guarantee on whether or not the car had been wrecked, just on title problems....

Carfax is generally worthless, but it's better than nothing and should only be one piece of the puzzle.
Old 02-26-2006, 06:23 PM

Default Go talk to the General Manager at the Dealership....the sales guys usually run a racket on these CPO

cars....pick them up, then "certify them" by putting as little money into the car as they can, then try to charge a premium to sell it as a CPO.

they have absolutely no idea what they are selling to you....but they should! and I bet their GM thinks so too..

Get to the GM and don't mess around with the sales guys or their managers. you'll get some results that way.
Old 02-26-2006, 06:31 PM

Default did I mention that carfax is pretty worthless?

they rarely show accidents...had two cars, both had been wrecked (one totaled) and Carfax did not show a thing...clean as a whistle.

the only thing it's good for is to give you a little history on how the car was serviced, where it has lived, and if the mileage looks right.

I'd say it's worth it for the info you get, but Do Not base your buying decision on Carfax. Get the car inspected by a reputable mechanic or, if you must, a dealer.
Old 02-26-2006, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Wow that's pretty bad. Here I thought carfax was pretty good.
Old 02-26-2006, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Did you get e CPO sign off?

Here is the list. You should have gotten this.CPO status is supposed to be an 300 point inspection...was yours?

Remember you just bought a used car, its still up to you to inspect it.

Go to the owner of the dealership. And look over the car with him. Audi corporate will not be able to help you as it is a used car sale.<ul><li><a href="http://www.audiusa.com/common/images/certified_certification_inspection_US.pdf">click</a></li></ul>
Old 02-26-2006, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Car fax? sorry to say its only half a story at times......

Think of it... they-Carfax gurantees the accuracy of WHAT IS REPORTED.

But what about the shops that don't report to car fax? How could this information be included in a car fax report?

Carfax is not a credit report that has all the history.. its a voluntary system.

Quick Reply: Body Damage on my new CPO