A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

C5 Extended warranty info - putting together a group purchase (see inside)

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 12:27 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maybe, but that's very confusing for most people

I guess your point is that one excludes everything not named, and the other excludes everything named?

In any case, the INDS exclusionary plan lists all exclusions, and covers wear and tear on any covered part that has worn beyond field tolerances allowed by Audi even though it has not yet officially "failed".

That's as good as it gets once factory new-car coverage expires.

There really is no such thing as "bumper to bumper". That's just a generic term many people use for an exclusionary warranty.

There's only two types of warranty plans...named component, and exclusionary. One names what is covered, and if it's not named, it's not covered. The other names what is not covered, so if it's not named, it IS covered.

Bruce
Old 01-21-2008, 08:25 AM
Elder Member

Default I agree ... the real important one IMO is covering "wear & tear"...

that is the huge hole through which companies seek to avoid coverage. At least if it's not excluded by that loophole you'll get some coverage.

My huge beef with a company that will remain nameless for the next few weeks or so is that they don't cover to the extent that they promise (not a case of only allowing $x/hr. when your guy charges $y, but just not covering the necessary labor). A perfect example of why these are NOT and should not be called "warranties".

Not having a service contract is a crap shoot; so is having one, LOL.
Old 01-21-2008, 02:05 PM
Banned

Default You're dead on: they're technically "service contracts" or "mechanical breakdown insurance".....

....and not "warranties".

But try calling a Frisbee a flying disc and not having everyone give you weird looks. People are just unfamiliar with the term.

Everyone just calls them warranties, even me, because the legal definition/difference is not known to most people.

Bruce