A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Cam seals DIY - can you ease my confusion?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 01:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

4Driver4, this helps heaps! I understand now - cheers. The struggle has been trying to picture it all in my head having never been under the valve covers before.

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
The heads aren't different. They are the same. Exactly the same. Well, the castings are anyway.
I just was having trouble with the fact that the seal layout is not identical because the head is flipped 180 degrees between left and right banks. Well maybe the only difference is the layout of the exhaust cam, with the sprocket being on different ends.

Make sense?
Yes. Lots. That's very clear - appreciate it heaps.

It it extremely unfortunate that this work was not done with the timing belt.
I did ask about that and was told that it's easy enough for them to go back in. I suppose the more individual jobs they do on an engine, the more labour they can charge compared to doing all jobs at once. Some would say that's just a typical dealer.

Be sure you have the crank pin and cam locking bar to reset cam timing after you are done with the seals.
I thought these were only needed if the timing belt is removed ? I'll be leaving my timing belt in place now I understand what I can and can't do.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks heaps everyone for your input!
Old 09-18-2012, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gecko Asiks

I did ask about that and was told that it's easy enough for them to go back in. I suppose the more individual jobs they do on an engine, the more labour they can charge compared to doing all jobs at once. Some would say that's just a typical dealer.
Definitely sounds bad...if you/they had said nothing I might give them the benefit of the doubt but if they specifically said that it's "easy to go back in" I would find somewhere else. I mean, it is easy, it's just not cheap which is what you as the customer would care about

I thought these were only needed if the timing belt is removed ? I'll be leaving my timing belt in place now I understand what I can and can't do.
I wouldn't bother doing anything other than the valve cover gaskets if you're not going to remove the timing belt.

I would divide this into 2 jobs: valve cover gaskets, and everything else. Do 1 of those jobs or both. If the valve covers are your main source of leaks you'll be doing good work by just changing those. On the other hand, if you think you're going to have to pull the covers again soon to fix the other seals, then you'll be buying new valve cover gaskets again (they are a one-use item regardless of how old/new they are). You can buy them for $20 each, so it's your call - it depends on how long you will go before pulling the covers to do the other seals.

There is no way to replace the exhaust cam seals without removing the sprockets and hence the belt. The others...maybe it is possible but I wouldn't bother. The chain tensioner seals might be doable - you definitely need the special tool #3366 for the these...then, some people like to loosen or remove the camshafts, either of which would require removal of the t-belt, but I suppose it might be possible without doing that. The thing is, if you have the special locking tools, removing and refitting the belt is really not a big deal and it will speed up and simplify the other jobs for you.

As 4driver4 said, do use the locking tools if you pull the belt - there is no other way to set the timing correctly on this engine (you may read stuff to the contrary on the interwebs but trust us on this).
Old 09-18-2012, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Wait, u need to remove the t belt to do the chain tensioner!?, wtf, When I did my t belt I did the front seals thinking I could come back and do the valve cover and chain tensioner later

Also the front cam seals are the circle ones included in most complete kits correct? The ounces where the sprocket HAS to come off and scares the living **** out of me everytimei it pops off like a rocket!
Old 09-18-2012, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2.7Lturbo
Wait, u need to remove the t belt to do the chain tensioner!?, wtf, When I did my t belt I did the front seals thinking I could come back and do the valve cover and chain tensioner later

Also the front cam seals are the circle ones included in most complete kits correct? The ounces where the sprocket HAS to come off and scares the living **** out of me everytimei it pops off like a rocket!
No, there is no need to remove the timing belt to do the cam adjuster seals, valve cover seals or rear cam seals. You do need to remove it to do the front seals. I usually do them all when I do the timing belt because it's a slight bit easier with everything apart all at once IMO.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Be sure you have the crank pin and cam locking bar to reset cam timing after you are done with the seals
I tried to PM 4Driver4 on this one but his PM quota is full. Just want to clarify this, as I'm pretty much clear now on what's in store for me when I lift the valve covers on my 2.8 30v.

I thought I didn't need the crank pin & locking bar as I'm leaving the my timing belt in place and only doing the valve covers gaskets, chain tensioner gaskets/seals, rear cam seals and plugs.

So is my thinking correct - no crank pin & locking bar needed if the timing belt stays on?

Cheers.

M
Old 09-28-2012, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

I tried to PM 4Driver4 on this one but his PM quota is full. Just want to clarify this, as I'm pretty much clear now on what's in store for me when I lift the valve covers on my 2.8 30v.

I thought I didn't need the crank pin & locking bar as I'm leaving the my timing belt in place and only doing the valve covers gaskets, chain tensioner gaskets/seals, rear cam seals and plugs.

So is my thinking correct - no crank pin & locking bar needed if the timing belt stays on?

Cheers.

M
Correct - if you don't remove the timing belt or loosen the camshaft pulley bolts, then you won't need those tools.

But you will need the cam chain tensioner tool if you are doing the cam chain seals/gaskets.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by divil
Correct
Sweet divil - cheers.

Originally Posted by divil
But you will need the cam chain tensioner tool if you are doing the cam chain seals/gaskets.
Got it ready to go
Old 11-08-2012, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Hi guys. Just trying to get my head around my next DIY maintenance job - valve cover seals and associated cam seals.

To be honest, my brains are a bit fried from all the reading, though I'm pretty sweet on what to do for the valve covers and the cam adjuster seals/gasket, its the cam seals that I'm a tad confused with. I've bought a kit from Blauparts which includes four cam seals and the two end plugs (see pic). Re the four cam seals, obviously its two per bank, and I take it they fit on the cams at the opposite end to the cam chains - is that right?

Because I'm a bit of a newb when it comes to this sort of stuff, I'd love to leave the cams in place (not feeling too confident about taking them out), and maybe just loosen the cam caps as I've heard the seals just "slip" onto the cams? I'm a bit miffed as to how that can be though, so with the valve covers off, can I (or maybe not?) get these four cam seals and two end plugs replaced without removing the cam shafts? If so, has anyone got any write ups or tips as I'm finding it tricky finding much on these cam seals and end plugs? And the plugs, do they just fit on by hand?

One other thing, when I had my timing belt done last year at an Audi dealer, they also replaced the two cam seals at the front of the block (one per bank), the ones behind the timing belt sprockets. Just wondering if those are two different seals to the four I'm talking about?

Cheers heaps. M
I'm in the same boat. I've been looking for a vid or pictures of what to do WITH THE ENGINE IN THE CAR. The write ups are and have been great. But for my simple mind I need pictures.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Giving this thread a bump...I need to inspect, and probably replace, the passenger side exhaust cam seal (the one under the sprocket).

I asked a shop to do the timing belt maintenance, and while it was there, to replace the cam seals. To my knowledge, they did not remove the camshaft covers to do the work. As far as I'm aware right now, this is the only seal which failed after installation. The irony is I took the car in, thinking I didn't have time to do it myself, now I'm doing the whole damn thing myself anyway to access that seal.

The symptom is a major oil leak on the passenger side at the front of the engine, coating the skid plate. I have to pick up a couple tools to get in there still..

The shop warrantied the labor, but not the parts (I provided them). What do you guys figure is the likelihood that the seal was faulty, vs their labor, given the earlier statement that the cam might be damaged if the seal is replaced w/o removing the cam cover?

Also...I noticed there's a specific "headbolt tool"...it looks like a Torx, but isn't. Should I be using this tool for the cam cover bolts, and the bolts which secure the camshafts?

Thanks, guys...

-S

Quick Reply: Cam seals DIY - can you ease my confusion?