A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Cars can be a pain in the a** sometimes. New windshield, track tires, and general rant...

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2003, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cars can be a pain in the a** sometimes. New windshield, track tires, and general rant...

Dyno'd the S6 Friday. Had a coupon for a dyno session from a car show I participated in last July. ...finally decided to use it. "Sure we can do TipTronics." Ya, ...I got a graph of 4000 to 6500 rpms in 4th gear; with HP jumping all over the map, because they couldn't get the 4-wheel dyno synced up. They gave-up testing, and decided to focus on beating up on the axles, because they couldn't seem to get the dynopacks to release correctly. Grrrr...

My braided stainless StopTech brake lines are already needing replaced. The casings are cracking, and the braiding is showing signs of deterioration on at least one of the fittings. Only put these on last June.

Had a new windshield installed Monday. Called me to say it was done, and there's a gap of about an inch at the bottom, where the windshield fell short of reaching the cowl, plus 3/8" gap along the top! "We measured it before we put it in, and it's the same size as the original." The F*ck It Is!!?! "Maybe if we moved the cowling up, ...of course we'd have to cut it a little to clear the wipers" ...and these guys came recommended. Plus, since they glued it down, they can't pull it back out for a week, ..."the glue needs to set-up, or we really will have a mess". So, we'll see what they come up with next Monday?

Bought four Yokohama A032R 255/40-17 H-Compound track tires. Decided to mount them on my Ronal R-38 winter rims and hold-off on the SSR Comps for a little while. Told the tire shop to go ahead and spin check the rims before they put the new tires on. Yesterday they called to inform me that three of my rims were out of round! I straightened one already this winter, and replaced another outright (presumably the one straight one). I swear I am not hard on rims, these damn Ronal must just be incredibly soft!

So, what next? ...after all, it's only time and money, right?
Old 05-08-2003, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Geesh! Time for a new car....;^)
Old 05-08-2003, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

When it comes time to list your car on eBay, I think I'd leave some of this outa the description!
Old 05-08-2003, 08:30 AM

Swap 'ya Navigation units (just adding fuel to the fire!)
Old 05-08-2003, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Ouch! Thought my week was going rough 'til I read this....
Old 05-08-2003, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sucks dude - I need to have a new windshield put in also.

Sorry to hear about all the problems, these cars sure are money pits sometimes.

-st
Old 05-08-2003, 09:13 AM

Default Whoever did your windshield sucks at what they do. I'd go to the most reputable body shop....

...you can find and have them handle the whole thing. They should stand behind the work and be able to show you how they got the right part for yoour car in black and white.
Old 05-08-2003, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

This windshield matter is baaaad! And the brakelines??
Old 05-08-2003, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Expert

I love driving cars. Owning them is another story
Old 05-08-2003, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Cars can be a pain in the a** sometimes. New windshield, track tires, and general rant...

You know something, though? You're right. Cars have progressed so far along the technology route that we're forced to allow other more "savvy" people perform work on in the interest of maintanence. It's these other people that cause our problems. Well, those folks and cam seal leaks or control arm issues.

My answer? Buy a motorcycle. I never have problems with my Triumph Daytona 955i, it outperforms nearly every car on the planet, and it doesn't have any room for children.

Motorcycles. Men need them.

Quick Reply: Cars can be a pain in the a** sometimes. New windshield, track tires, and general rant...