A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

changed spark plugs...now car runs for crap.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 04:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changed spark plugs...now car runs for crap.

yesterday i decided to change my plugs, not knowing when it was done last (bought the car a few months ago). my first mistake was not using OEM plugs. i went to three different places and no one had the NGK BKR6EKUB plugs in stock. i ended up going with standard NGK platinum plugs, BKR6EGP. went for a test drive after and immediately noticed the car hesitating on acceleration and stuttering at idle...figured it was misfiring. great.

today i got the proper OEM plugs and it seemed to run better at first, then i did noticed a little hesitation, but then after driving for a few minutes it seemed to smooth out. put the car in reverse to back into the garage and it started to hesitate and stutter again. what the heck??

it really sucks when you complete a simple task that should make your car happier, and it just ends up creating problems that never existed before.

my laptop is on the fritz, so can't VAG for codes right now...can anyone give me any input as to what might be going on here? is it going to take a period of time for the ECU to adjust to the new plugs?

any suggestions are appreciated. thanks.

car is 2000 A6 2.8
Old 11-09-2009, 03:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Changing plugs should not affect running, especially with OEM plugs.
CW is that you've screwed up something else along the way, broken something, etc.
There are so many plastic bits that just break, especially if you lean on them or push one.
I'd look for a vacuum leak(s)....check all the little lines and see which one you knocked off or a T that you broke.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The problem is most likely due to gapping. Audi's require really narrow gapping and almost all plugs need to be re-gapped before using. Don't trust the writing on the box that says "pre-gapped".

Re-gap the plugs, search for exact figure but I think it should be something to the tune of 0.028", don't call me on that figure though

Also, get the Vag-Com as your problem could also be due to failed coil-pack. Without vag-com you won't be able to tell which cylinder is having problem.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

so improper gap could cause this? i'm going to replace the wires tonight, and i'll check the gap on the plugs at the same time. i did not check them before installing. can anyone confirm the proper gap for a 2000 2.8l engine? i have vag-com software and interface, just need to reinstall the OS on my laptop to get it working properly again...lots of fun stuff to do tonight.

what's weird about this is the car ran absolutely fine before i changed the plugs. i figured if nothing else, the car might get a little better mileage with a fresh set of plugs. the job was pretty damn easy, so i really can't imagine i broke anything or caused a vacuum leak in the process.

thanks for the input so far...
Old 11-09-2009, 10:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

so how exactly do i measure gap on these plugs? where do i measure?

Old 11-09-2009, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Sorry, these cannot be gapped, I thought (incorrectly) that you are running 2.7T engine. Anyway, you need to check coil packs next.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Spark plugs
Manufacturers Code BKR 6 EKUB (NGK)
Gap 0.4 - 0.6 mm (0.016 - 0.024 in)
Torque 30 Nm (22 ft lb)

just in case you were still wondering
Old 11-09-2009, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Keep looking for something you broke. Plugs aren't the issue. Something happened while you installed the plugs.

You could also have broken/cracked a plug but since it did the same with the proper OEM plugs I'm still betting you broke something else.

Coincidence could be a broken or blown coil, but if that's it, it's mere coincidence.

Get it vagged too. Get the codes, and don't be surprised if one code indicates lean running.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

replaced the wires and the problem seems to have been fixed (so far). the wires that were on there were probably pretty old, perhaps original. the plastic wire loom covering was completely disintegrating. i bet with all the moving around, or perhaps my dumb idea to remove them with a channel locks probably damaged some part of the wires internally.

new wires, running smooth. i'll let you know if the problem recurs. thanks for the help, though!
Old 11-10-2009, 02:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

LOL...I didn't even think of plug wires since all my cars have coil-over-plug ignition.

When I did have plug wires it was generally replace them every four years with OEM stock bougicord (tm) wires (saab/volvo) or in later years I just bought magnacore wires...8mm silicone guaranteed-for-life wires. BTW; even the lifetime magnacore wires needed replacement once after 4 years on an overboosted saab 900T.

Pulling wires with a channellock would have done it. Here is a plug-wire puller from Lisle...about $7.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: changed spark plugs...now car runs for crap.