A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Checking and cleaning spider hose

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Checking and cleaning spider hose

I have a feeling I need to check my spider hose if its blocked. how exactly do I check it. I know its the piping that goes to the muffin/pancake thing on the right side of the intake y-pipe, but how do I tell if its blocked? what can I clean it with?
Old 03-08-2012, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Take your oil cap off while the engine is running. If it is stuck down then it's not blocked. If it comes off easy then it's blocked.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

ok, i just tried that. I started the engine, let it idle , opened the hood, removed the oil cap, pulled off the pancake thingy, it came off pretty easy. what now?
Old 03-08-2012, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

or did you mean the oil cap? that came off pretty easy too...
Old 03-08-2012, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

i should add that I dont have an secondary air pump in the car anymore. It seized and I took it out. I did not install the block off plates, I just put some duct tape on the hose that should go into the sai pump. would that have anything to do with it? I usually get smoke on the passenger side of the engine, but I can never find where its coming from. I did the passenger side valve cover gaskets, including the tensioner gasket, half moon and cam plug... and it still has smoke coming from that side, but like I said, I see no oil and cant find the source of the smoke...

i was planning to do some maintenance on my car today, I am going to do a boost leak test (after I make the plug thingy) and then remove the valves for the sai pump and install the block off plates that I ordered 5 years ago, lol. also, maybe if I get my transmission oil cooled off in time, i would go an oil/filter/gasket change...

hopefully I can get this spider hose issue fixed, I had issues with something related to the spider hose like a year ago, but then I got the updated oil cap that would relieve pressure or something, and I ignored the spider hose issue...

ohh i remember now, it was because of the valve cover gaskets going bad that I figured I had a blocked spider hose...

Last edited by badinstincts; 03-08-2012 at 08:18 AM.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 5v/cyl
Take your oil cap off while the engine is running. If it is stuck down then it's not blocked. If it comes off easy then it's blocked.
mine comes off real easy on both my 2.7 and 2.8. shoudnt what you said be backwards? if the pcv is clogged the oil cap be harder to come out?
Old 03-08-2012, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What 5v/cyl is getting at is that the pcv system puts manifold vacuum into the crankcase at idle. It's way more complex than that, but depending on idle vacuum and how much blow-by is actually being generated, there could be enough negative pressure in the engine to "hold" the oil cap in. You could also test it with something like a piece of cardboard placed over the oil fill hole, to see if there's vacuum there. Just make sure whatever you use can't get sucked into the valve cover if there is a lot of vacuum.
Biggest issue I know of about the spider hose is that it can get brittle with age and break, or crack and leak. That would be about as bad as if it gets plugged. Some folks have replaced it with standard hose, t-fittings and an oil-catch can...
Jim
Old 03-08-2012, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by rohit13
mine comes off real easy on both my 2.7 and 2.8. shoudnt what you said be backwards? if the pcv is clogged the oil cap be harder to come out?
Working PCV system should have vacuum in the engine and therefore noticeable vacuum holding the cap in place. On my 2.8 the cap is hard to pull up and there is a woosh sound as I remove it. Idle also stumbles a bit as I remove it. System working good.

My 2.7t does not do this. My oil also dirties up way quicker than on my 2.8 which is telling me my PCV on the 2.7t is either partially or fully clogged. It's on my to do list for this spring. I will probably be replacing the whole spider hose for fear of it cracking apart trying to clean it. http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_S4-...aign=postreply Price sucks but may have no choice if it is brittle.

Originally Posted by eejimm
What 5v/cyl is getting at is that the pcv system puts manifold vacuum into the crankcase at idle. It's way more complex than that, but depending on idle vacuum and how much blow-by is actually being generated, there could be enough negative pressure in the engine to "hold" the oil cap in. You could also test it with something like a piece of cardboard placed over the oil fill hole, to see if there's vacuum there. Just make sure whatever you use can't get sucked into the valve cover if there is a lot of vacuum.
Biggest issue I know of about the spider hose is that it can get brittle with age and break, or crack and leak. That would be about as bad as if it gets plugged. Some folks have replaced it with standard hose, t-fittings and an oil-catch can...
Jim
^What he said.^

Last edited by 5v/cyl; 03-08-2012 at 01:01 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

well i cant check with cardboard now because i took everything off the top of the engine to remove the combi valves. WHAT A PAIN IN THE A!!
omg, the passenger side you can get both screws in, but the driver side only 1 for the plate because its a different setup, I'll make it really tight, but I DROPPED MY ALLEN KEY! OMG, then I dropped my magnet, and then I dropped my allen socket. LIFE SUX!

I think I'll just take off the spider hose, if I can only get to the small part in the middle which is blocked by a 10000 hoses. OMG!
Old 03-08-2012, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by badinstincts
well i cant check with cardboard now because i took everything off the top of the engine to remove the combi valves. WHAT A PAIN IN THE A!!
omg, the passenger side you can get both screws in, but the driver side only 1 for the plate because its a different setup, I'll make it really tight, but I DROPPED MY ALLEN KEY! OMG, then I dropped my magnet, and then I dropped my allen socket. LIFE SUX!

I think I'll just take off the spider hose, if I can only get to the small part in the middle which is blocked by a 10000 hoses. OMG!
Yeah, that's why I haven't done mine yet. Not looking forward to all the fun you are having. My time is coming. I'm just waiting for a nice warm spring day with the garage door open, baseball game on radio, and some cold ones to keep me refreshed.

Quick Reply: Checking and cleaning spider hose