A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Coolant leak?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant leak?

About a month ago I changed my crankcase breather hose, suction pump, pcv, and check valve. It was informed that it was necessary to change all of this when changing the breather hose. It went well I didn't mess anything else up in the process, well so I thought. For the past month my coolant level has been dropping pretty fast. After I fill it in between the min/max level it takes about a week and a half to get low enough to trigger the cooler level sensor. Can someone please explain what is the cause. By the way, there are no hose clamps on any of the hoses that I've changed. But the hoses are still on pretty snug and coolant isn't seeping from anywhere that I can see.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

When you did the spider hose etc, maybe in the course of moving the reservoir the coolant reservoir or its connections developed a leak. Maybe a water pump leak. If 2.7 maybe the coolant after-run turbo pump under the intake runners. The coolant will often evaporate from a hot engine so no drips. The 2.7 after-run pump leaks will show crusty pink residue under the driver side intake runners. Water pump leaks are hard to see, but with car on lift with engine running the leak can usually be seen.
Old 12-02-2015, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by johnkk
When you did the spider hose etc, maybe in the course of moving the reservoir the coolant reservoir or its connections developed a leak. Maybe a water pump leak. If 2.7 maybe the coolant after-run turbo pump under the intake runners. The coolant will often evaporate from a hot engine so no drips. The 2.7 after-run pump leaks will show crusty pink residue under the driver side intake runners. Water pump leaks are hard to see, but with car on lift with engine running the leak can usually be seen.
Sorry for not specifying, I have the 2.8l engine. I currently have 127k miles on it and just had the water pump replaced at 120k. The car never overheats or anything. I don't understand where the coolant is going. After a drive I check the hoses and they're completely dry.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by John Elway
Sorry for not specifying, I have the 2.8l engine. I currently have 127k miles on it and just had the water pump replaced at 120k. The car never overheats or anything. I don't understand where the coolant is going. After a drive I check the hoses and they're completely dry.
Just throwing out a theory since I'm not fully educated on the 2.8, but maybe valley pan gasket leak? Oil analysis should be able to confirm if coolant is getting into the oil supply.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Pressure test the system when it's hot.

Originally Posted by John Elway
I once had a pinhole leak that showed up at 18psi. Sprayed and dried on the engine. No obvious reason for it.
Old 12-04-2015, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts

I have had many 2.8 cars 12v and 30V . some common coolant leakage areas.

T by the expansion tank
Expansion tank itself.
Pinhole in rad.

kp in mind you may get a leak and never see it because of the under tray.

I recommend you wash the engine and then look for white stain on the timing belt covers etc. this is where your leak will be near.