A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Dealer won't fix warped rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default None, no leeway from Carlsen...

...at all in this case.
Old 03-10-2005, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The issue is that Carlsen does not think AoA will reimburse them

for the parts and labour, given the past history of this car. Another dealer may or may not feel different. Remember that any other dealers to whom you take your car, and AoA, can look up the service history as well.

Since there is no record of other brake issues with the car, they are assuming you are doing something to create the situation. It's up to you to convince them there is a real problem other than the obvious assumption.
Old 03-10-2005, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks to that circular, Carlson knows they're not getting paid by AoA. That's not the issue...

The issue is that AoA changed the policy after the fact because they've been losing money hand over fist on warped rotors. In my opinion, it's a pretty shady move.
Old 03-10-2005, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Agreed. It seems though that people have been talking less about brake issues - maybe because more

cars are out of warranty now - maybe because they changed the rotors (I thought I remembered reading something to that effect)?

4 sets of rotors in 50K is a lot of warped rotors.....
Old 03-10-2005, 03:28 PM

Default I feel like the rug's pulled out

from under me. I used to drive from Cupertino to Foster City for work, 280 all the way. Out of work for 1.5 years, been driving the crappy SUV, and mixing in the A6 in city driving. I'm a good driver, doing all the "right" things, use the tip a lot on off ramp decelarations, etc... yet keep getting the darn vibrations.

I used to think I like Audi. With this one single move, they have lost me on the next purchase.
Old 03-10-2005, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default these cars are heavy and they eat rotors.

I need new rears at 25K, and the fronts are on the second set. Not a good image for a company to default on their warranty agreement with a customer because they source sh!tty materials.
Old 03-10-2005, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I love that Audi designs something completely incorrectly and I have to pay for it...

I've had a lot of other cars that i've driven much harder than my A6 and never had this many brake problems. I as well have had 3 new sets of rear rotors, and 1 set of front rotors, as a result of a poorly designed product.

I don't ride my brakes, I don't "track" my car, I just drive it in normal traffic.. hell, I don't even drive that fast... but my brakes still seem to have problems. I'm sorry if they are getting an excessive amount of problems, but, frankly that's not my problem.. it's theirs for not doing it correctly the first time.
Old 03-10-2005, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yep. My B6 A4 went through rotors every 17K miles and I was not alone...

Fortunately, the 3 sets of rotors that my car required were all covered under warranty. I doubt they would be today. I'm just crossing my fingers that the A6 does a little better...
Old 03-10-2005, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default the big issue is their breaking of a warranty agreement

with the customer. Mfg. warranty runs for the 1st year, (I believe 10K miles) then Audi Advantage kicks in. Their agreement with the customer, the written warranty provided at delivery, implies bumper to bumper coverage to 4yr50K.

Also dealers have put into practice the replacement of warped rotors. Sounds like an established practice. Only a matter of time before a class action.

I know I am reconsidering Audi for future purchases.
Old 03-10-2005, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Read and try this before you get too wigged out.

It's not always warped rotors.<ul><li><a href="http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/warped_rotors_myth.htm">Check this out.</a></li></ul>

Quick Reply: Dealer won't fix warped rotors?