A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Driveline vibrations, Steering wheel vibrations?? A-6

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2000, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driveline vibrations, Steering wheel vibrations?? A-6

Has anyone experienced driveline or steering wheel vibrations on the A6 2.7t. at app. 60-75 mph.??
Old 08-17-2000, 01:15 PM

Default Possibly...

A few times I've noticed some vibration but I figured it was the road since it went away. I'll pay more attention and let you know.

Mike
2001 2.7T psk
Old 08-17-2000, 01:16 PM
Jim

Tire out of balance?
Old 08-17-2000, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default High speed balance

Have your dealer check the high speed balance of your tires. Specifically it’s the front tires but check all four (and the spare for that matter!). Your dealer will need to have the special machine used for high speed balancing. Specifically, tire belts separate at different rate at the speeds you are talking about causing the tire to not be able to be balanced. This is basically listed as a manufacturing defect within the tire and it is typically replaced. Don’t let them rotate without checking as all you do is postpone the problem until the next rotation. It’s not impossible that your dealer will not have the machine required to do this test. I’m not sure what you do in that case. The symptoms of this issue are the car vibrates at 60-65 mph with a buildup starting at about 55 and tapering off about 70. Sounds like that’s it to me.
Old 08-17-2000, 06:19 PM

Default Re: Driveline vibrations, Steering wheel vibrations?? A-6

My 4.2 occasionally exhibits very slight drive-train vibration if I am headed up a slope at 45-55 MPH while pushing the steering wheel ever-so-slightly to the left under light to moderate throttle. In other words, occasionally I can feel drive-train vibrations under very specific parameters. It does not bother me.

This is something that is not uncommon with Audi Quattros or any all wheel drive car with a center differential. There is much more driveline than with a front-drive transaxle or a rear drive set-up. Lots more driveshafts to have perfectly balanced ;-) My father-in-laws Porshce 993 4S displays rogue drive-train vibration even!
Old 08-17-2000, 06:40 PM

Forgot to mention I have had the tires balanced on a Hunter GSP 9700 twice already.
Old 08-18-2000, 12:59 PM

I have vibrations or "fluttering" in a 2.7T that began the first week I owned it. Problem happens mainly > 50 mph and can happen almost any time, on any road surface, but often occurs as accelerator pressure is released on a downgrade, or in fast but heavy traffic when you have to keep releasing and then applying accelerator pressure. Once the fluttering starts it can only be stopped by allowing speed to come down to < 45 mph or so. Problem also occurs with moderate and sustained accelerator pressure when on an upgrade. The sensation is first noticeable through the accelerator pedal (that's right even though I'm told that the accelerator is not a mechanical one) but then vibrates the seat and then the whole car. Not much sensation through the steering wheel, so I doubt front tire/wheel problem. I also doubt rear wheel/tire problem because of random nature of problem occurence in relation to speed, road surface.

Audi dealer says that computer reveals nothing. Something clearly ain't right, and it is so annoying that I do not like to take long trips on the highway in this almost brand new 2.7T.
Old 08-21-2000, 06:55 AM

Default I checked out vibration on a smooth road Sunday morning.

Tried speeds between 55-85 mph. If I've got a vibration it is VERY slight. I put a tall glass of water in the cupholder, and this seemed to amplify any resonant vibrations. I could get some resonance at 60-70 mph, but it would vary with the road surface. The car did seem a bit smoother above 80. There was no vibration in the steering wheel, so it's probably not the front tires, and Tirerack usually does a pretty good job of balancing. I would guess it's the driveshafts if anything at all.
Old 08-27-2002, 05:17 AM

I have had my 2002 2.7T in the shop 5 times for vibrations. Was told wheels needed to be balanced. That failed twice. Then told they could not balance the rims and replaced those. Was told my wheels were out of round (Continentals). They then replaced the drive axle, front axle and then told me the car was operating in normal parameters. Upon further inquiry Audi of America had no suggestions for this dealer (Hoffman Audi, Hartford, CT) Now the dealer will not return my calls or answer letters. They previously told me there was nothing else they could do. Looks like suit is my only alternative. Good luck with your problem. Search under vibration to learn more. This is not an uncommon problem.