A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Eibach Spring

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2002, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eibach Spring

Just installed 18" BBS SX on my 98 A6 2.8
Thinking about dropping the car a little bit.
Read this on audi website. They said Audi Sport Springs create a sportier profile by lowering your Audi A6's ride height about 1.5 inches (30 mm).

My questions are:
1. Anyone has experience with this?
2. Can I install the springs without changing my stock shocks?
3. How's the ride gonna be? Will it be a little bumpy?

Thanks<ul><li><a href="http://collection.audiusa.com/store/accessory.asp?parent%5Fcategory%5Fid=11&amp;catego ry%5FID=49&amp;subcategory%5FID=203&amp;product%5F id=844">Eibach</a></li></ul>
Old 10-29-2002, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Well, there's a bit of info via the SEARCH function, and thru Stoney's

info. But yes, a "few" people have done this. You can install them without changing the stock shocks, but it is not advisable. Your '98s shocks (if still original) are probably in need of change anyway...if not, they soon will be. Your choices are a) PSK shocks from the A6 2.7T sport package (You really should consider putting that kit's rear sway-bar on also), b) Koni shocks, or c) Eibach pro-kit shocks as a package with the sport-springs. How bumpy will the ride be? Well, 18" wheels with low-profile sportier tires will DRAMATICALLY alter the ride all by themselves. The Eibach springs are "firmer" than the stock springs, which are now 3+ years old (as probably are the shocks, too). What is "bumpy" to you? Changing all these things (springs, shocks, wheels, tires) at once MAY result in something that you hate compared to what you have now. Since you say you are merely thinking about lowering the car a "little bit" that seems to tell me that you are not looking for much of a change in the ride. Believe me, the wheel/tire change alone will make a HUGE difference from what you have now. Eibach sport lowering springs with either Koni or Eibach dampers will also produce a significant (firmer) change also...combining all of them may look cool for you, but will you like it?

HTH
Old 10-30-2002, 01:26 PM

Default I assume wheels/tires further increased the perceived gap?

I did Eibachs alone. Would have done the shocks if either Eibach, Bilstein or PSKs were available. Ride a little rougher around town but the look is worth it. Standard wheel gap on the A6 makes it look like an off-road vehicle. PS: I'm still using stock 16" wheels &amp; tires. Looking forward to 17s but those 18" RS4 replicas are enticing.
Old 10-30-2002, 02:57 PM

Default I currently have Eibach on non-sport 2.7 with stock shock and 18"Carlssons and my thoughts are......

In addition I had on H&amp;R spacers to widen the track to creat a more aggressive stance. The ride in combination with stock shocks and 18" rims are quite choppy over anything but expansion joints. It is very noticeable at lower speed, however, as speed increase the ride became a lot better and I love its highway manners.

However, do change shocks especially if you don't have the sport package like in the 2.7 or 4.2. The car now feels underdamped compared to the stiffer springs and feels a bit floaty and unsettle over some type bumps and surfaces.

Ultimately, coilover would be the way to go if especially when you don't have to worry about factory warranties. its about only $600 to $800 more than Eibach spring + shocks but offer adjustability that is fun to play with. Plus, coilover react much quicker and will handle a lot better