A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Feedback - possibly buying C5 sight unseen

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Feedback - possibly buying C5 sight unseen

Hey, all! This is my first real post. But, will certainly not be my last as I always frequent the forums of vehicles I own.

Anyway, I need expert feedback from any of you that are familiar, specifically, with a 2000 2.7T manual trans C5.

It currently has 120k miles on it and am going to order an inspection of the vehicle on my behalf and need to know what things they should listen & look for on it at it's current mileage and age.

Anything/everything you all can think of and suggest to pass on to the inspector would be super helpful!

Thanks! I look forward to reading all the replies
Old 09-12-2017, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

- Condition of the turbos
- Check engine lights, readiness codes?
- Oil Leaks
- Air suspension version, condition of the bags and compressors
- Transmission condition, codes?

Those are the core ones. First, are you taking it to a VW/Audi dealer/indy shop? If not, do it. Most shops won't know or have the proper scan equipment to use. VAGCOM is the scanner that is used.

Also, what is your pocket cash flow like? Can you afford a 700 for a radiator swap incl parts and labour. This isn't a honda variant car, these are expensive and can leave you heart broken if you can't afford the repairs.

If you find a gem, congrats, you'll have lots of fun. If there are concerns, run for the hill and look at another C5 or C6 platform
Old 09-12-2017, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 162 Posts

First of all, I would not buy one of these sight unseen unless I really, really, really trusted the seller. If you get a bad one, you will be screwed until you find some other poor sucker to take it off your hands.

Have your inspector pull a complete VCDS scan of all of the control modules and email it to you. Then post it here and we can advise.

Timing belt changed recently? flexpipes in catalyst leaking or broken?, clutch wear, takeup and play?

All keys available and working? All keys work in all locks? Driver door key lock needs to lock and unlock the door mechanically.

Chipped or stock? Turbos original or changed? Oil change frequency and type? Send in a sample of oil for analysis.

Front suspension tight? Brake pad wear and rotor wear? ABS and ESP working properly?

Shocks original? IF so, they will need to be replaced soon.

Radio and CD changer working? Buttons on steering wheel working?

Spare tire the same size as the tires on the ground? Wheels original or aftermarket (aftermarket may be harder to source.)

Thats the big stuff I can think of... I have owned five 2.7T cars, two tips and three 6mt.

Last edited by georgeb944; 09-12-2017 at 02:56 PM.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:37 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Awesome! Thank you both!

So, the issue, is that all the ones where I live are in bad shape. So, this was a much better find... only issue, a few states away.

Going to order an inspection via lemonsquad and include all the notes you both provided. Even with inspection & delivery costs, it would be a better deal than the C5's in my local area. So, I'm willing to gamble...
Old 09-13-2017, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

if you decide to buy, please post back pictures and details. Audi p0rn is always welcome
Old 09-13-2017, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I second the suggestion to take it to an Audi indy shop. They will know what to look for. Otherwise sight unseen I would pass. Too many items that if missed will make a good deal not so good.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by clancy
I second the suggestion to take it to an Audi indy shop. They will know what to look for. Otherwise sight unseen I would pass. Too many items that if missed will make a good deal not so good.
How, though? I am 1,400 miles away from the vehicle location.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

You have the checkbook. If you want to buy this seemingly good deal without having a pre purchase inspection performed by an experienced indi Audi repair shop that is your choice. But giving a list to a shop that is not familiar with these cars is potentially disastrous. They can easily overlook items that will cost you. Your decision.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:51 AM
TFT
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hitman47
How, though? I am 1,400 miles away from the vehicle location.
What state is it in? Maybe we have a member nearby that can at least take a look at it.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 162 Posts

Not having an Audi (or Porsche, or Ferrari, or BMW) inspected prepurchase by someone who knows the brand's particular weaknesses is a false economy. It's kid of like not using a prophylactic with a prostitute... you may save a few bucks now, but live to regret the savings.

Not to disparage lemonsquad, but their price structure and sample reports do not give me any confidence that they are Audi experts. Either they are paying their inspectors minimum wage (quite likely) or they are spending the minimum amount of time to do the inspection (quite likely).

Also, if they are wrong in their assessment and the car does turn out to be a lemon, what guarantee do they give you? I didn't think so.

Last edited by georgeb944; 09-13-2017 at 12:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Feedback - possibly buying C5 sight unseen