A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Is this forum political?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this forum political?

I dont quite understand it...I get ripped to shreads over some chrome Rs4 wheels when I have umpteen other mods and everyone congrats BD continually on some of the same mods I have as if he is God...an Rs6 spoiler (which he has taken 100 pics of as if it is the mod of the century) smoked tails and RS6 tips...on his car, amazing...on mine...tacky and bad. Read the posts I received yesterday...dont like the Hellas, dont like the calipers, hate the grill strips (gone off the car by the way as of today).

Even old posts I made showing my exhaust tips last year got horrible responses such as ugly for the circular cut outs and too big for the car.

My rims today received accolades from every single guy at my firm who saw them. 3 people in my neighborhood (2 of whom own amazing cars...Lotus elise and M5) asked me where I got them and how stunning they were on my car. The detailer actually thought my car was an RS6... And this group snubs me as if I have committed a cardinal sin. Yes, I too dont like some of the things I see on here including the pie plates some people have for rims on their cars, but you know what...I respect the fact that we have different tastes and keep my negative opinions to myself. It's just mean spirited to attack people who are trying to make an effort to mod.

Have you seen Audi's? I have news for some of you: They have chrome or at least chrome-like accents everywhere. My wheels are the exact tone of the stripping around the windows, around the lights, the trunk etc. It brings everything together. My rims are not the kind of chrome spinners you find at WalMart. They look more polished than they do chrome.

It just angers me that I have looked to this group for support and some simple recognition for my efforts, and almost always am getting shot down. Yes there were some nice posters who said they liked my car, but some of the regulars treated my mods as if I made a joke of the audi brand.

And to comment on my friend's digi cam? Come on ...be considerate of the fact that I went to the effort to get a cam and take the pics. It was a video camcorder from which I grabbed some stills onto a floppy (a Sony 3CCD $5500 camera to be exact)

Thanks to many of you for your help and willingness to lend support to me but I have a tainted view of this place now and will retire my handle. I just dont find this a fun place to hang out and share anymore. Good bye.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's why i rarely ask people for opinions....if i like it, it's perfect...after all it's MY car
Old 04-18-2006, 06:19 PM

well, if your neighborhood approves it... I just hope it's far from mine.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default this forum is not chrome friendly :oD and btw ...

like i care what other thinks, i like my car how it is!!!
Old 04-18-2006, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default In a word, yes. It can be a tough group, the disadvantage is not being able to see

the writer to know for sure if they're ripping you a new one, or have the tongue very much in the cheek. There aresome in here, (not BD), who are pretty cool and never seem to insult anyone, but then there are some others, a fairly short list, who can't seem to answer anyone without a large measure of pretty obvious sarcasm.
Just gotta learn to brush them off and focus on the good guys.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You make some good points. Consider this: pretty much everyone here has a

"feel" for his/her car (or else we probably wouldn't be here). In many cases, these are strongly held PERSONAL opinions. Frequently we hold similar opinions as to what we like or dislike. Other times, less so. Every now and again, someone comes along who has a very different perspective, and it jars some nerves and elicits strong reactions. That doesn't mean you are wrong - it simply means your tastes are different. Still, it is your car, and you shoild feel free to do with it as you please. It should make YOU happy....don't worry too much about us. We've had a few members here in the past with 'differing' tastes, and after the first hazing they were accepted with open arms.

My suggestion: be happy with your mods if they are what you want. It's your car. Let everyone here get used to them. Give it a few days and see what happens.

Just my $.02...
Old 04-18-2006, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Not really political. However, there seems to be quite a few that like to pile on. You must admit,

you have taken your car a different route than a lot of the people here. Like I said yesterday, you can't post your car here and expect nothing but positive comments.

As for BD, does he post A LOT about the same mods over and over? yes. But people are keenly aware of enthusiasm, even over the Internet, and people respond to it. If it makes you feel any better, he was ripped for coming up with a self-righteous contest that involved reciting his mod list. Nobody is immune to the lynch mob...even those that are a strong contributor.

You need to have a thick skin around here at times. There was a member with the most ghetto wheels you can imagine who was embraced for other reasons. If you don't want honest answers, don't ask.

Stick around and learn what you can, teach others what you know, and mod your car as you see fit.

BTW, I am glad you removed the grill strips...they looked like ****.,
Old 04-18-2006, 06:42 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Political? You asked for opinions and got them. This group seems to favor things that look OEM.

I know I do. The chrome is waaay too bling for me.

I re-read the original post. You got both positive and negative comments. What's the problem?<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/615314.phtml">Scene of the crime.</a></li></ul>
Old 04-18-2006, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

that's who I was referring to - - 99a6 or whatever his name was - remember those albas?
Old 04-18-2006, 06:51 PM
GBW
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hmmmm.....it's a tough world out there isn't it?

I think there are two groups beginning to show up on the forum, and this will probably be true for each generation of the car as they age. This theory has exceptions, but it's what I'm seeing...

You have the older group of owners, who purchased the car new, or lightly used. An Audi appeals to them because of the engineering and quality of the car, along with the understated/stealth factor of the brand. Most of us could have afforded a new MB or BMW, but chose to not follow the crowd. I see more enthusiasts here that truly track the car and appreciate what it can do than I do on the MB or BMW forums. They get great satisfaction from making modifications; there are some very technical old timers who understand what it takes to maintain a European luxury car and the risks of their modifications.

Before I describe what I see as the second group...a word about Boston Driver. Yes, he posts a lot of pictures and instructions. But he also provides the forum a tremendous amount of detailed information on what he's done and specifically how he's done it. While you may or may not like everything he's done, he has gladly shared is experience in a way any of us can benefit. He also works tirelessly to pull together GTGs and communicate with other members off line to help them out. He goes way beyond what 99% of us do here to promote the Audi brand and I think you're way off base to criticize what he has done. He's contributed more than you or I and that's why he may be receiving more accolades than you are.

The second group of owners, started showing up about 6 to 9 months ago and they're the younger folks that can step up to an A6 now that the prices have depreciated to a fraction of their original price. Their priorities are different; bling is much more important (in some cases, not all) than substance. In many cases they don't use the resources available to them here, try something, then are distressed when something blows and costs a significant amount of money to repair. They rarely track the car or understand what makes an Audi an Audi. They tend to stick around until the first major repair bill...then are never heard from again.

Now, this is one person's theory on what's happening here. Everybody deserves a fair shake, and cosmetic/bling stuff is highly subjective. I've got some mods that were well received and some that were not. I got over it.

It's an open forum and if somethings posted, there's lots of opinions...and that's all they are opinions. You like your car, isn't that enough?

It seems that your 179 posts didn't receive the response you wanted, so you're going to take your marbles home...what did you contribute to the forum? Was it only a one way thing for you? Good luck to you and Good bye.

Quick Reply: Is this forum political?