A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Front brake job: info needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 06:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very helpful post massboykie, thank you.

I'm staring down the barrel of a front brake job on both my Touareg and the a6. Just have to convert the garage over from lawn care mode to shadetree.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Removing HP-2 Front Brake Caliper Housing

I'm trying to remove my front rotors so I can have them machined. I figure that means removing the old pads, as well as the caliper so the rotor disc will have room to come off. I'm following the Bentley guide and am stumped. From the prior posting on this thread, here's a link to the Bentley instructions:

Originally Posted by massboykie
Hi BauBau

Here's some DIYs and information about the brake systems on the C5s.
From the Bentley
http://www.vaglinks.com/Docs/Audi/C5...akeSystems.pdf
Hope that helps

Cheers
Massboykie
Where I get stumped is on page 46-33 in the linked PDF. It simply says, "Pry brake pads carefully out of piston and remove brake caliper housing."

OK, the pads came off easy enough. But the "remove brake caliper housing" part? It doesn't say how to do that. Anyone know what bolts need to be removed and how?

Using a mirror I can see a couple of those "triple square" bolts. Separately, there are also the two guide bolts covered by a plastic/rubber protector boot. I popped off the plastic boot and peeked in with the mirror, but I don't see a bolt head to grab onto in there.

Any thoughts?
Old 11-03-2010, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gcheddar
...OK, the pads came off easy enough. But the "remove brake caliper housing" part? It doesn't say how to do that. Anyone know what bolts need to be removed and how?...
Hey GCheddar

From the page you referenced it looks like you have the S4 (HP-2) caliper on your car. Unfortunately I have never done a brake job on the S4 (HP-2) caliper, but on the FNRG60 caliper you have to remove the guidepins to remove the caliper. These are under the dust boots you mentioned. On the G60 I think it was a 7mm hex (alan) bolt. Not sure if the HP-2 uses the same size. After that you still need to remove the caliper carrier, again not sure if the HP-2 has a carrier. The carrier fastens to the hub with two large bolts so those might be the ones you need to take out.

As for the "couple of those "triple square" bolts" I am pretty sure these are the bolts that keep the two sides of the caliper together, so I don't think you want to loosen those.

Here's a DIY from an S4 brake job, not sure if it will help much...
http://www.vaglinks.com/Docs/Audi/B5...akePad_DIY.pdf

Cheers
Massboykie
Old 11-04-2010, 12:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

From the page you referenced it looks like you have the S4 (HP-2) caliper on your car. Unfortunately I have never done a brake job on the S4 (HP-2) caliper, but on the FNRG60 caliper you have to remove the guidepins to remove the caliper. These are under the dust boots you mentioned. On the G60 I think it was a 7mm hex (alan) bolt. Not sure if the HP-2 uses the same size. After that you still need to remove the caliper carrier, again not sure if the HP-2 has a carrier. The carrier fastens to the hub with two large bolts so those might be the ones you need to take out.

As for the "couple of those "triple square" bolts" I am pretty sure these are the bolts that keep the two sides of the caliper together, so I don't think you want to loosen those.
I wish it were like that, but I tried different sized hex sockets and they either didn't fit in, or didn't get any grip. I have a mechanic's inspection mirror so I used it to look inside the boots and see why the socket couldn't get a grip and sure enough, there's no real socket in there - it looks more like a cylinder with a recessed cylindrical hole in it - no hex, torx or anything.

Anyway, I gave up on that and just slapped in some new pads and called it a day ...

Here's a DIY from an S4 brake job, not sure if it will help much...
http://www.vaglinks.com/Docs/Audi/B5...akePad_DIY.pdf
Yeah, not too much help there. Changing out the pads alone was fairly easy enough - though it just seems very kludgy to use a screwdriver to move the pistons instead of a more elegant caliper reset tool.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is easy for HP2 calipers and I just did it on Tuesday for my car.

In the exploded view here

http://tech.bentleypublishers.com/se...%20service.pdf

#5 is the bolts that hold the carrier on. They are 21mm. There is one at the top of the caliper kind of under the guide and one at the bottom. So once you have pulled the pads, just take those 2 bolts out, the carrier comes off and your rotor slides right off. Very, very, easy brake job to do. You literally can do this with 3 tools, a flat blade screwdriver, a 17mm socket for the wheel bolts, 21 mm socket for the calipers.