A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

front signal problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 04:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default front signal problems

SO I had my motor in my 2001 A6 2.8L Quattro rebuilt. It runs awesome now but now for some reason the front low beam light does not work nor does the signal. Any ideas on how to trouble shoot this without taking it to a dealership or a garage. It worked fine before the engine work as well did the headlight bulb. I think it is funny that neither work now.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a similar situation after engine work on my own A6. Major engine work typically requires removal of the front bumper and then sliding forward the radiator support cross-member, as if it were a chest of drawers being pulled out. In preparation for that, the headlamps are typically kept attached to the radiator support cross-member but disconnected from the rest of the electrical system.

When the work was done on my car, the headlamps were ostensibly reconnected as part of putting everything together, but it can easily look like the connection to the headlamp-and-signal structure is good but it's not quite solidly connected. It needs to be firmly seated. On my car the connection was tight enough for the high beam to work but not the low beam. Seating the connector more firmly fixed the problem for good. So, that's my best guess.

Another guess is that inadvertently a short-circuit briefly occurred and this blew the fuses. As I recall, if that's the case, you have three separate fuses to replace. If you have questions about the fuses, please ask me.

It could be a combination of both issues ...

~Tanya
Old 04-12-2017, 09:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by tanya_charbury
I had a similar situation after engine work on my own A6. Major engine work typically requires removal of the front bumper and then sliding forward the radiator support cross-member, as if it were a chest of drawers being pulled out. In preparation for that, the headlamps are typically kept attached to the radiator support cross-member but disconnected from the rest of the electrical system.

When the work was done on my car, the headlamps were ostensibly reconnected as part of putting everything together, but it can easily look like the connection to the headlamp-and-signal structure is good but it's not quite solidly connected. It needs to be firmly seated. On my car the connection was tight enough for the high beam to work but not the low beam. Seating the connector more firmly fixed the problem for good. So, that's my best guess.

Another guess is that inadvertently a short-circuit briefly occurred and this blew the fuses. As I recall, if that's the case, you have three separate fuses to replace. If you have questions about the fuses, please ask me.

It could be a combination of both issues ...

~Tanya
Thanks so much for the ideas..... can I get which fuses need to be checked I have time this week to check them.....and also. Can I check those connections without the bumper and stuff being in service position?

thanks so much again

Stanley
Old 04-12-2017, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hi Stanley,

I plan to look up the fuse amperages and positions for you today. If you have an owner's manual, I should also cheerfully point out that the fuse information is in that book, toward the back. I collect and sell these owner's manuals, but sadly I don't have one for your car. Would you like one? If yes let me know and I'll look out for one in the future.

Yes, fortunately, you should be able to check the connections without the bumper coming off and the cross-member going into the service position. In my case it was a situation of: while driving, my friend the Audi guru noticed the inoperative headlight, and she asked me to pull over. I opened the hood, and she hopped out, rummaged behind the headlight ... gentle push,click, problem solved.

~Tanya
Old 04-12-2017, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Fuses for headlamps and signal lights

I'm looking at page 209 of the 2000 A6 Owner's Manual. I'm guessing and hoping the 2001 model A6 fuses are similar.

The fuse box is divided into two sections, top and bottom. The top uses mini-fuses only. The bottom uses normal fuses, only. The ones you need are all in the top section, hence mini-fuses.

Fuse 2 is turn signals, 10 amp, red. Top section, leftmost column, 2nd from top.
Fuse 20 is low beam, right, 15 amp, blue. Top section, rightmost column, top fuse.
Fuse 21 is low beam, left, 15 amp, blue. Top section, rightmost column, 2nd from top.
Fuse 22 is side marker and tail light, right, 5 amp, amber. Top section, rightmost column, 3rd from top.
Fuse 23 is side marker and tail light, left, 5 amp, amber. Top section, rightmost column, 4th from top.

I hope his helps. If you cannot find the fuses locally, let me know. I have some.

~Tanya
Old 04-13-2017, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default call the shop

Originally Posted by Mikaere808
SO I had my motor in my 2001 A6 2.8L Quattro rebuilt. It runs awesome now but now for some reason the front low beam light does not work nor does the signal. Any ideas on how to trouble shoot this without taking it to a dealership or a garage. It worked fine before the engine work as well did the headlight bulb. I think it is funny that neither work now.
If you paid normal money for the rebuild and it was recent then I would at least call the shop and explain your concern. It is reasonable they may have not connected all the wires during the re-assembly. If not, it is their job to take care of this.
Old 04-13-2017, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default A path of hope

Just throwing my two cents in this hat......Check all ground wires near the core "radiator" support and off all relative wire harness's.
Old 04-16-2017, 04:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default thanks to everyone

thanks to everyone for the help and ideas. I just need some time to do it....wish me luck
Old 04-16-2017, 05:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default This forum is the best

So, I reached down there and jiggled the connections and they came on and worked fine....thanks again for everyones help and ideas.
Old 04-16-2017, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikaere808
So, I reached down there and jiggled the connections and they came on and worked fine....thanks again for everyones help and ideas.
You have the golden touch! Excellent until you hit that next bump so clean-up that connection when you narrow it.

Quick Reply: front signal problems