A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Got my HCT tip tranny...going to rebuild myself.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Got my HCT tip tranny...going to rebuild myself.

I got a good deal on ebay for an HCT transmission with 80K on it. I am planning to take it apart this spring/summer and completely rebuild it with the level 10 kit (go ahead and yell at me for that).

I found some really good videos on youtube for a rear wheel drive 5hp19 (which I actually owned in a bmw before I bought this car). The kit also comes with a supposed manual. I know the quattro version should be quite different from the rwd version in the bimmer.

Can anyone suggested and reading material or videos specifically on out quattro transmissions? I like to soak up as much info before I start. Videos are the best.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by slowguy
I got a good deal on ebay for an HCT transmission with 80K on it. I am planning to take it apart this spring/summer and completely rebuild it with the level 10 kit (go ahead and yell at me for that).

I found some really good videos on youtube for a rear wheel drive 5hp19 (which I actually owned in a bmw before I bought this car). The kit also comes with a supposed manual. I know the quattro version should be quite different from the rwd version in the bimmer.

Can anyone suggested and reading material or videos specifically on out quattro transmissions? I like to soak up as much info before I start. Videos are the best.
Get a ZF manual. There's a ZF rebuild facility near Chicago, Ill that you could probably use as a source or information for where to get a manual and/or parts diagram, etc.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have been reading through as many ZF documents as I can find before my transmission gets here and I found on the specs for this tranny that it is only rated at 310nm of torque from the factory. THis equates to just over 200 ft/lbs of torque. That's not even enough to handle the stock output of the 2.7t engine. No wonder these things break so easy!

ZF, on the other hand, makes plenty of auto transmissions that are strong enough to handle extra power - for instance the 5hp24. I know this has been addressed with swapping a rs6 tranny into a a6 (and it's a no-go), but with all the different types of ZF out there, there are not other stronger, valid candidates for a swap? (...and don't say manual, I've heard it too many times already...I'm sticking with the tip).
Old 03-20-2013, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by slowguy
I have been reading through as many ZF documents as I can find before my transmission gets here and I found on the specs for this tranny that it is only rated at 310nm of torque from the factory. THis equates to just over 200 ft/lbs of torque. That's not even enough to handle the stock output of the 2.7t engine. No wonder these things break so easy!

ZF, on the other hand, makes plenty of auto transmissions that are strong enough to handle extra power - for instance the 5hp24. I know this has been addressed with swapping a rs6 tranny into a a6 (and it's a no-go), but with all the different types of ZF out there, there are not other stronger, valid candidates for a swap? (...and don't say manual, I've heard it too many times already...I'm sticking with the tip).
While the 5HP24 may be rated higher, it is also a fairly common point of failure on 4.2 Audis (both A6 and A8). I would rather rebuild the 5HP19 with quality components than just slap a stock 5Hp24 in.