A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Headlight leveler problem -- quick fixes? (longish)

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2000, 11:32 PM
uwg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight leveler problem -- quick fixes? (longish)

Seems that the leveler on my left headlight works intermittently only. We've had single-digit and sub-zero temperatures, and I suspect it might have something to do with that, but it's still a nuisance (and dangerous!) as it usually leaves the left headlight adjusted way too low.

When starting the car in front of the garage door, I can see the usual down-up motion on the right, but the left just hesitates and moves down a little, then stops moving. Occasionally it works fine.

This being the holidays, I doubt that I'll find a dealer who can address this problem quickly, but I have several hundred miles to drive in the next few days.

Question 1: In order to "reset" the levelers, you have to START the car. Just turning the ignition or headlights off and on won't do it. Is there a way to cause the levelers to reset without turning off the ignition?

Question 2: Has anyone experienced that before? I'm somewhat handy with tools, and while I don't want to dismantle the headlight assembly, if someone knows of something I could/should try, I'd love to hear it.

(If it helps any, it started about a week ago and it only affects the left headlight. When it first happened on Sunday, I didn't think much of it, as it was registering -2F when I started the car. I pulled over, restarted and everything was fine. I didn't drive enough last week to notice, but tonight it was almost impossible to get the beam leveled properly!)
Old 12-23-2000, 12:04 AM
S1

Default check with your dealer...

i m not sure whether u can do a quick fix on this... better let AoA and its dealers take care of this one.

worries me when these cars are supposed to function in cold temperatures....
Old 12-23-2000, 07:54 PM

Default No problems with mine in even colder temps.

My A6 sedan I had never had an issue even with temps to -25F or so. My current allroad has seen -15F with no problems as well. The headlight washers have been a pain though. The stock fluid sucks and freezes. Definitely take it to the dealer. I don't know where you are at but here in St. Paul, MN I often can get my car in the same day that I call or even just drop in.