A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Headlight question for any and all. (April, particularly, if you've a moment.)

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2000, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight question for any and all. (April, particularly, if you've a moment.)

I'm wondering if I'll experience with the 2.7T with xenons I have on order what I've found on my wife's A4 with halogens. Both the lows and highs are aimed lower than in just about any other car I've driven. (Maybe 25% or 30% lower.) The A4's halogens have the stair-step and abrupt cutoff I've heard described for the xenons, but while that accentuates the effect of the low aiming points, that's not what I'm referring to. I'm not worried because I know they can be raised. I'm just curious whether all Audis are set up this way, and if so, why?
Old 12-30-2000, 08:28 PM

Default Re: Headlight question for any and all. (April, particularly, if you've a moment.)

This is my first vehicle with Xenon's. I would agree about the low beams. I can really overdrive my vision if I want to.

The high beams, though, are just fine. I just read a post a couple message back saying how the step is lower on the driver side in an effort as to not blind on coming traffic, perhaps that's the same reason why they may seem lower in general.

I still love them. I have vowed to never buy another vehicle without them.

My 2 cents...
Old 12-30-2000, 08:38 PM
f3d
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Re: Headlight question for any and all. (April, particularly, if you've a moment.)

i raised my left leadlamp so its level with the right one, low beam illumination was better, but im still a bit unhappy with it. one got flashed once, so others dont seem to have a problem...
High beams, seem adequate for driving at speed.
Old 12-30-2000, 09:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Just had mine raised at first dealer service...

Made a big difference for me. I don't mind the stepped effect at all. They now illuminate down the road adequately with much less of the distinct "cut off" effect and I haven't gotten flashed by oncoming traffic yet. I'm not sure what setting they raised them to, or why Audi sets them up initially so low, but I'm much happier with them now.

I love Xenons!
Old 12-30-2000, 11:52 PM

Default Mine are great, maybe even a little high.

I got lucky, I guess. I've even considered having the dealer lower them a little.

The abrupt cut-off and stair-step is something I appreciate and am used to. Back when all headlights were round and interchangeable I always equipped my cars with Cibie (European) halogens which had the same beam pattern as our Audi's. They were the best. Tons better than tungsten sealed beams and many of today's fancy integrated units. Too many auto manufacturers have sacrificed headlight effectiveness for styling. I'm glad some, like Audi, are making functionality a priority.
Old 12-31-2000, 07:48 AM
LBD

Default Anti-xenon

I'm probably in the minority here, but for my eyes, xenons are terrible. If I'm driving on a hilly road, without any street lights, I can't read any street or traffic signs until I'm right next to them. I also find the distinct cutoff and "bouncing" light very distracting. If you drive with the highbeams on its ok, but that's frequently not possible due to oncoming traffic. Also, I was told by the dealer that highbeams are regular halogens.
Old 12-31-2000, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Halogens seemed a tad low on delivery, raised them a touch.

Found this out when driving on local interstate, it was real easy to outdrive the lights. Not getting flashed, so I may raise them another touch.

Now if we can get all the people who drive with fogs perpetually on to stop it... (especially those cheap GM fogs that amount to headlights).
Old 12-31-2000, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Halogens seemed a tad low on delivery, raised them a touch.

I had mine raised and they are now much better. My 98 A^ must have been higher because I was getting flashed.
Old 12-31-2000, 01:47 PM
rap

I'm with you.
Old 12-31-2000, 03:57 PM

Default I see your points...but...

The Xenon's actually help illuminate streets better, the light really make the sign reflect much better.

And, the high beams may be halogen, but the Xenon's remain on at the same time.

Quick Reply: Headlight question for any and all. (April, particularly, if you've a moment.)