A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Headlight washer plug

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Headlight washer plug

I recently had an attempt of some dirt bag trying to break into my car. I've an audi 2000 quattro 2.7t. This **** bag pulled off a piece of trim and my front drivers side headlight washer plug.

How do I replace the plug cover? Is there a piece missing from my headlight washer? I can put my index finger down into the hold before I can touch what looks like a black hole that contains washer fluid. Is there a piece missing in the 2-3 inch gap? I've never seen my headlight washers operate so I"m not even sure it they have worked in the past.

Help, please
Old 08-10-2014, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 173 Likes on 163 Posts

The plug cover has a couple of holes on the tabs that extend down into the hole. Those holes pop over a couple of small **** on the headlight washer.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yea, I just looked at the passengers side plug. The dirtbags took the stem out of the headlight washer too I would love to kick their ****ing asses!

Where to get the part and how do I install the headlight washer????

HELP!
Old 08-10-2014, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Osmosis
Yea, I just looked at the passengers side plug. The dirtbags took the stem out of the headlight washer too I would love to kick their ****ing asses!

Where to get the part and how do I install the headlight washer????

HELP!
I've heard of this theft mentioned on boards occasionally. The big target is the fog light grill. I recall the washer repair parts aren't cheap. would send an email to Carson The Audi Parts Guy cheter@dchmillburnaudi.com and tell him what happened and I'm sure he will know which parts you need. Audiworld discount is excellent. Got a new battery for just over $100 and the list prices vary between $170 and $200.

Just on a hunch, stop by a few local indy's and see if you can find recent headlight washer repairs. Try to see what's going on in the shops if you can.

Sounds crazy, but I recovered the convertible top for an old Spitfire in a nearby shop, saw my top leaning against a garage bay wall. Turned out they were under investigation for repairing cars with stolen parts. Cops nailed the bastards.
Old 08-10-2014, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

I appreciate the thoughts. GOD aLmIGhTY, If I would have caught them, they would have been EFFED UP. I'm almost 50 and I have done competivite judo/jujitsu for 30 years, in addtion to aikido. I acually tried out in colorado springs for the 92 olympics for the judo team....which is how I destroyed my knee. I know I would have made on the team if it was not for that injury,,,that's another heart breaking stroy Anyway, I've never been a bully, but LOVE to bully...bullies or people who are a.....asking for it Could of, would of, should of. Needless to say, I will not be purchasing a family pass to that water park EVER again!!!

That being said, I really need some directions to install a new drivers side head light washer so my fluid will stop leaking

Can anyone help me please

Thanks,

Oz
Old 08-10-2014, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can try going to the local junk yard and see if you can find an intact nozzle assembly. (A6 or A4) If you do, just reach down into the hole in the bumper (assuming the bumper colored nozzle cover is missing), pull the nozzle up extending it out of the bumper as if it were extending to wash the headlights. Once fully extended up, give it a good hard tug to separate the nozzle assembly from the rest of the washer assembly. You may be lucky to find a nozzle assembly (head) with the two "nozzles *****" intact. Just blow into the back end of the nozzle assembly to see if you can pass air through nozzles themselves. If you can pass any air through, throw it away. Installation would be the reverse procedure, but you may find that properly reseating the nozzle head into the washer assembly requires so much force, that you have to take the bumper off, remove the washer assembly (very easy) and properly force the head on. You will know if it is not properly seated by the continued loss of windshield washer fluid at that connection point. What you are missing is actually three pieces; the nozzle head, the bumper colored cover, and the retaining clip that holds the cover onto the nozzle head. If you had all three of these parts connected, and the nozzle was not properly seated onto the washer assembly, the body colored cover would no longer sit flush on the bumper itself. A new headlight washer assembly, including cover and retaining clip, would obviously resolve your issue, but that definitely requires removal of the bumper for installation. Hope this helps.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Bro, thanks for your reply. I"m having a diffiuclt time making sense your instructions because I've been drinking a few beers which is not my normal self.

I recenlty purchased the plug and nozzle off of ebay.

I'm hoping for an easy fix, but expecting the worst.

When it rains, it pours

Thank you all
Old 08-12-2014, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Bro, thanks for your reply. I"m having a diffiuclt time making sense your instructions because I've been drinking a few beers which is not my normal self.

I recenlty purchased the plug and nozzle off of ebay.

I'm hoping for an easy fix, but expecting the worst.

When it rains, it pours

Thank you all
I bought two headlight washer assemblies before I figured out the above. The first one I removed the front bumper and replaced the entire washer assembly. The second time I just pulled apart the new one, yanked the old alien out of its housing, and jammed the alien back into the housing! EZPZ. It's so EZ which is why the miscreant stole yours!!
The washer cover is a paintable part…just paint it with a rattle can and let it dry a couple coats, even use an oven at 140-180F. Wet sand it with 2K sandpaper and then clear coat it. It justs snaps onto the alien's ears.
Old 08-15-2014, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
I bought two headlight washer assemblies before I figured out the above. The first one I removed the front bumper and replaced the entire washer assembly. The second time I just pulled apart the new one, yanked the old alien out of its housing, and jammed the alien back into the housing! EZPZ. It's so EZ which is why the miscreant stole yours!!
The washer cover is a paintable part…just paint it with a rattle can and let it dry a couple coats, even use an oven at 140-180F. Wet sand it with 2K sandpaper and then clear coat it. It justs snaps onto the alien's ears.
I"m not quite sure what you mean by the second time you just pulled out the alien and jamed it back into the exisiting housing..... Are you telling me that all I have to do is remove or pull out the washer peice that extends out and jam it back into the old housing? Is there an o-ring or anything that needs to be there?

any pointers would be appreciated
Old 08-15-2014, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

I"m not quite sure what you mean by the second time you just pulled out the alien and jamed it back into the exisiting housing..... Are you telling me that all I have to do is remove or pull out the washer peice that extends out and jam it back into the old housing? Is there an o-ring or anything that needs to be there?

any pointers would be appreciated
Yes. Just pull it out of the new housing and you'll see what I mean. The pic below shows what the housing looks like (the hole you feel) without the nozzle/stem.

Then stick the new nozzle/stem into the old housing. Unless the dirtbag damaged the old housing it should work. Worst case is you'd have to take off the front bumper cover and replace the old housing with the new housing but this should work. Worked on my C5 S6.
Attached Images  

Last edited by SloopJohnB@mac.com; 08-15-2014 at 04:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Headlight washer plug