A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Help Please! ABS Light on, OBD issue, Airbag light on and Park Brake light flashing!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

If it's the same p/n it's a plug and play.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
Your best option is to have your current unit rebuilt.
That's generally the least expensive as well as least risky. Takes time.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Audi S8 Rules
So I found a replacement ABS module in a autowrecker. will i have to re-program it? if so how?
What they are saying here is that you don't know the condition of that part before it was pulled (or when the car was put to sleep -so to speak). It could be good or other wires shorted etc., elsewhere and it could be a bad unit. I'd say, if you are getting for a very cheap price AND part numbers match exactly, give it a try. In theory, these modules should operate on 5v logic and the sensor side may or may not reach 12v. So, I'd try it... But your call.

Here is what ross-tech has: http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index...ulltext=Search

depending on which version you have... also, did you rule out any bad wiring? lack of communication could also be due to bad connection right...?
Old 01-21-2014, 02:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok thanks guys. I paid $200.00 it is the identical #. So should the lights go off as soon as i start it? or will I have to drive it a little? Rotate front tires? I dont have VAG-Com yet. I'm in Calgary, Canada, so it would take time to order from Ross-tech.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok thanks guys. I paid $200.00 it is the identical #. So should the lights go off as soon as i start it? or will I have to drive it a little? Rotate front tires? I dont have VAG-Com yet. I'm in Calgary, Canada, so it would take time to order from Ross-tech.
I know that some codes don't set the lights immediately unless they are critical like airbag etc. Other codes for example EVAP purge related get set after the system sees the same error few times... of course, there is some logic to this madness and I just don't have that info with me right now.

Regarding abs codes, I would try disconnecting battery's positive for 10mins or so to reset and see if they come back. If they still come back (i.e. the lights), I am afraid vag-com is the only way to reset/clear them. And, you might even have to code it to your vehicle specifically... look on ross-tech wiki.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I found a replacement ABS module in a autowrecker. will i have to re-program it? if so how?
No reprogramming needed. Why not rebuild yours? Some companies rebuild for well under $100. Otherwise, you will have the same situation with your unit from the autowreckers.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ok. So awesome thanks guys. I installed the ABS controller and by the time I backed out of the garage the ABS light and flashing parking brake light went out! So...one One more to go! AIRBAG light. not sure why its on!? I assume module from what I'm picking up here!? Is there anyway to reset or clear it without VAG-COM? Remember we I'm working on the kids car, 1999 Audi A6, 2.8L. Where is the AIRBAG module located? Will mine work to test it on the A6 off my '02 - S8? mine has the side curtain airbags of course, so not sure if it will work!?
Old 02-20-2014, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

It sounds like these are common issues with the Audi A6! I have 2002 A6 wagon and my ABS light is on while the Parking Brake light flashes. I also have Check engine light (431 error code and front bank O2 sensor respectively). I had a P38 Range Rover and from what I recall an ABS pump replacement is VERY expensive. so this ABS controller did the trick?

Ok. So awesome thanks guys. I installed the ABS controller and by the time I backed out of the garage the ABS light and flashing parking brake light went out! So...one One more to go! AIRBAG light. not sure why its on!? I assume module from what I'm picking up here!? Is there anyway to reset or clear it without VAG-COM? Remember we I'm working on the kids car, 1999 Audi A6, 2.8L. Where is the AIRBAG module located? Will mine work to test it on the A6 off my '02 - S8? mine has the side curtain airbags of course, so not sure if it will work!?
Old 02-21-2014, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by AuidiVee
It sounds like these are common issues with the Audi A6! I have 2002 A6 wagon and my ABS light is on while the Parking Brake light flashes. I also have Check engine light (431 error code and front bank O2 sensor respectively). I had a P38 Range Rover and from what I recall an ABS pump replacement is VERY expensive. so this ABS controller did the trick?
Read the post above yours.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes it did. I was able to get a AND control module with the pump for $200 out of a wrecker. If your going to keep the car for awhile you might want to get it rebuilt though as you don't know how long another used one will last. It was simple to change out just swapping the module and leaving the pump in. Both codes went away as soon as I moved the vehicle for test drive.

Quick Reply: Help Please! ABS Light on, OBD issue, Airbag light on and Park Brake light flashing!