A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Here's why you want EPDM belts

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i presume this is irony?
Old 01-18-2012, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

the trojan horse was a gift. Gifts that keep on taking are very bad gifts. Far better to leave the time bomb out. I don't buy that one iota.

Now, if the product description said:
" a high quality kit of mechanical parts along with a free belt that stands a fair chance of destroying your valve-train within 4 years" i would buy your argument. I doubt it came with said ad flyer.

G
Old 01-18-2012, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

whatever happened to buyer beware? im lear of ANYTHING that isnt an OE product even if it states it meets or exceeds OEM

not saying its right, im just saying if they sent you a belt and it was made out of spagetti would you install if because it was free and met OEM specifications?
Old 01-18-2012, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by ezveedub
I can agree with not arguing over getting a free belt in a kit that falls apart, BUT if it's not good quality, then don't bother giving it away, because it misleads consumers, more so when you advertise OEM/OE quality all over your website. I'd rather buy a quality belt then get a free junk belt any day. Waterpumps are another item I'm very wary of when it comes to getting them aftermarket sourced and is seems now a days, the original OEM brands your used to get from aftermarket sources are now all junk.
I agree 100 percent, dont put the belt in the kit. but im sorry to say , this is marketing, they compete on price and "offers" some times both sometimes one or the other. its not the marketing peoples fault that the consumer doesnt look into the quality of the belt? their job is to sell a kit and if adding in free stuff works why not?

Its like those commercials where you can buy a tv with no credit and they will throw in a comuter and printer FREE, only to find out you overpay for the tv by about 500 dollars and you only get the free stuff after they recieve your FINAL payment on the TV
Old 01-18-2012, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by rocketman4321
I agree there are two ways to look at this, but as for me, I thought I was buying a whole package and use of the tools, from a supplier many had cited here. I wasn't going to pay dealer prices, nor was I trying to get out the last 2% on an expensive kit. it was a package--I didn't expect to have to start picking and choosing among the parts in the kit. My original point was that the kit included a belt that was not the original material, and wore out faster than any belt I've ever had on any car. If the Gates info is correct, that's because of the material--something I didn't realize, so I posted it as a heads-up.

I'm often involved in supply chain technical issues at work, and I certainly appreciate how unbelievably many minor things can go wrong and derail a product, so I hope Blau has been able to work through it. I tend to agree that there's been some deterioration in general. But even brands with good reputations that are OE produce lemons--like that aux coolant pump that failed at 54k. Cam adjuster seals? Or just search on "control arms"! So even OE, name brand, and shop may not be indicators; price may be somewhat so, but it's not clear to me that the Gates belt I just bought is any different than the OE Gates belt at twice the price.

Personally, I often use this forum for advice on what parts to buy; thank you all for the help as we mutually pick our way though this thicket.
rocket man, not an attack on you or your posting, just wanted to say, if you buy a timing belt kit, and they "throw in" a serpentine belt, i would be wary of that serpentine belt. its an old sales gimmick and there is a reason they are doing it, in this case the belt is not as robust as the original. this is however no bearing on the quality of the parts you actually paid for and were buying in the first place.

fair disclosure, i threw away every "free" part they included in the kit, its not why i bought the kit
Old 01-19-2012, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

man, I put 70k miles on my car since i got it and I have no clue when the timing belt was changed I got the car at 100k miles. my belt seriously looks brand new, but I dont want to change it because of things like this. what to do....
Old 01-19-2012, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

it comes down to trust in a vendor, and i'm disappointed in Blau.
I think they blew it.

G
Old 01-19-2012, 10:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I also got a timing belt kit from blauparts.com, my reasoning was the price and most important the fact that u can rent their tool kits for 40$.
When I got the parts, I checked all of them. The serpentine belt was a german brand telequalitat i think but it did not look too good, and had a sticker on it that said overstock. I did a search online, and i found only 2 topics on the forums, saying they are crap. Also the t-stat was the same brand and looked like it was built on the ship on the way from China in really stormy weather.
So I called Napa and got a Conti belt and Behr t-stat.
The timimng belt was Gates and I was happy with that.
Also the belts installed on the car: Dayco timing belt and Gates serpentine belt and they were in really good condition for 95k.
So in the end I payed more,live and learn, and if it is going to be a next time I'll by a kit from ecstunning or europaparts they show you the parts brand and number.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by baubau2.7
I also got a timing belt kit from blauparts.com, my reasoning was the price and most important the fact that u can rent their tool kits for 40$.
When I got the parts, I checked all of them. The serpentine belt was a german brand telequalitat i think but it did not look too good, and had a sticker on it that said overstock. I did a search online, and i found only 2 topics on the forums, saying they are crap. Also the t-stat was the same brand and looked like it was built on the ship on the way from China in really stormy weather.
So I called Napa and got a Conti belt and Behr t-stat.
The timimng belt was Gates and I was happy with that.
Also the belts installed on the car: Dayco timing belt and Gates serpentine belt and they were in really good condition for 95k.
So in the end I payed more,live and learn, and if it is going to be a next time I'll by a kit from ecstunning or europaparts they show you the parts brand and number.
This is good advice - trust but verify and (as 2.7T is saying) caveat emptor.

The thing with this topic - there are many of us on here with all different levels of experience. Many people on here have much more knowledge and experience than I do, and I may have more than some others (I feel bad for those people).

I know when I did my first timing belt job, I researched for almost a year knowing I had 2 cars that would need it eventually. Even still, placing that first order was tough. I was trying to save as much money as possible as I don't have money to burn or I'd pay someone to do it.

At that time, I didn't really understand how all the parts fit together because I hadn't done it yet. I ordered the kit from ECS with the hope that they would send me everything I needed to do the job. Sure I researched, but I didn't know for sure.

I can imagine that many people, ordering for the first time, have to place a level of trust in the company they are ordering from - and that is part of why Blau and ECS have sold so many kits. I think a thread like this may be very useful to one of those people, but maybe not as useful to someone who knows how to pick and choose parts and catch a bad part when they get it (before they put it in their car).
Old 01-19-2012, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

You are one lucky bastid. Change de belt and associated running gear. And water pump and thermostat.

Quick Reply: Here's why you want EPDM belts