A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Hey, who is the ONE person who bought a new S6 last month???

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 08:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey, who is the ONE person who bought a new S6 last month???

I think it is a bit funny that so many have been bashing BMW and Bangle and blaming him for some marginally lower sales this past January compared to last year...seems that Audi is having the same problem except worse...with the A6 down 46% from last January!

Of course, the numbers don't tell the whole story...this is a 'going out' year for the A6...and it's a 'coming in' year for the 5-series...but the 5-series vehicles are just trickling in to dealers...the 545i just showed in very limited numbers a few weeks ago...and the 530 stock has been quite low also.

I don't know why the A6 numbers suck so bad...perhaps Audi has backed off production...perhaps already retooling some of the factory to make the new A6???

I think this year will break Audis streak of 10 straight years of increasing sales...with likely steady, but probably slightly lower A4 sales, much lower A6 and TT sales, marginally lower allroad sales and significantly higher A8 sales...I can't see how they could top last years total. I don't see the new A6 being able to sell enough in the final 2 months to make up the deficit.

VW is far worse off...they'd be off 40% if it weren't for the Touareg and Phaeton...

And for those who think VW can't sell "expensive" cars...the Touareg and Phaeton have made up ~22% of all VW sales in the U.S. in January!!!
The new Beetle is dying...should be canceled any day now.
The Jetta and Golf are desperate for the new model.
The Passat is showing its first sign of weakness...there had best be a new one for 2005...although I don't think so...2006 model year looks most likely for the U.S.<ul><li><a href="http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/publish/audi_news/article_659.shtml">http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/publish/audi_news/article_659.shtml</a</li></ul>
Old 02-09-2004, 09:12 PM

Default Audi loosing its "Quattro" Edge?

It seems like almost every marque is now offering AWD as an option on their higher end vehicles. BMW &amp; Mercedes already or will shortly offer all wheel drive on most of their models and watch for Cadillac, Infiniti and others to offer AWD. I even read in Autoweek that Chrysler will be offering it on their new PT Cruiser.
Old 02-09-2004, 09:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Perhaps...but I think it is more just model boredom and more importantly, the swoon after the...

low-financing rate boom...

I think MB sales are still strong...primarily centered around good numbers for the new E-class, CLK, and a few with the new SL and CLs. I don't know the numbers but I bet the S-class and C-class are down a bit...as well as the M-class which has got to lower...with a new one coming soon.

I think most people who buy Audi for "quattro" are not fooled by the AWD systems of BMW and MB...no less Infiniti and Cadillac...but...
Old 02-09-2004, 09:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Phaeton sales are insignificant - 150 out of over 13,000 cars sold.

According to the guy who I gave my "post-24 hr. test drive recap" to, they've sold a total of 370 copies since introducing the car in November. Pretty dismal.
Old 02-09-2004, 09:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think most people know the difference between AWDs
Old 02-09-2004, 10:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default 152 Phaetons vs 410 A8s...I wouldn't call it insignificant...

this was 150 Phaetons in a low supply month...they are just starting to come in to dealers. Most VW dealers that sell Phaetons got 2 or 3 V8s and a W12 or two back in November or December...the regular supply of V8s are just starting to come in...with the W12s at the new higher price coming soon.

The reason I included the Phaetons in my analysis is the simple fact that combined with the Touareg, VW sold more than 3000 "expensive" VWs last month vs. only ~2600-2700 "expensive" Audis (not including A4s)...

Perhaps 152 is insignificant when compared to 13000...but it is not a terrible number. VW plans to sell only 300 W12s for the model year...and up to 2500-3000 V8s. We'll see better when the car-buying season kicks in...
Old 02-09-2004, 10:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Considering that the S6 ceased manufacture mid-year 2003...I'm surprised there are many new ones

even available.

Those Touaregs are sure nice. If, for some reason, my company car has to leave the household, I will be seriously considering one of those.
Old 02-09-2004, 10:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I think most people who buy Audi specifically for quattro do...

not that they know the exact specifics, but they believe quattro to be better...whether accurate or not.

I agree that the majority of people don't know the difference between AWD systems. But, most probably don't know the difference between 4WD, AWD, FWD, or RWD...most people are freaking idiots!
Old 02-09-2004, 10:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I thought the W12 Phaeton was "build to order" only...none sitting around the showrooms.

I'm certain I read that that was the deal with those models.
Old 02-09-2004, 10:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yeah...I'm just wondering who got that ONE! ;)

Yeah, the Touareg is sweet...it does seem to have a huge amount of electrical issues that have left owners stranded in not-so-savory situations...but that should get better and it really does look great and has a nice presence or stance on the road...
I wish it came available a little more "bare-bones" without all the luxury crap...I want something I can beat on a bit...and not worry about scuffing the wood interior! That's why a Disco is so appealing...but it also has a lot of unappealing things...

Quick Reply: Hey, who is the ONE person who bought a new S6 last month???