A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Hope this isn't a RTFM question but... [long]

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2001, 10:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hope this isn't a RTFM question but... [long]

What's with the incredibly loud beep when I put the car in reverse? Moving into reverse gives a single beep.

Also, the guidance package sensors for rear obstacles beeps the same way, and when I'm getting close to something it's so loud it probably pushes the obstacle out of the way!

Is this something that I can adjust? It's REALLY LOUD!

Two days now with the car and everything is great. A little misalignment on the assembly of the front door side pockets (but they do stay closed when pushed shut). Other than that, my rather long list of potential problem areas to check for has been tossed into the circular file.

I sure am happy that I ordered the sport package. If this is the firmest suspension, I don't want the regular one. In fact, I'd like an S6 for the suspension as much as the engine. It is definitely nice and flat in corners, but is not too firm (at all!) around town/freeway. Probably I'm just not used to the mass of this thing. My previous cars have always been smaller and lighter. I can also understand the popularity of removing the power assist circuit, as it feels overboosted to me.

My biggest problem with the car is getting some quality time in there by myself or with other "car friends" as most family and friends are sooooo uptight about going 'round a corner quickly. "Oooo, eeek, don't do that...take it easy ...blah blah blah"

2001 A6 4.2/Silver/Black/Sport/Guidance/Premium/CD/Rear Air Bags<ul><li><a href="http://www.parallaxview.com/">http://www.parallaxview.com/</a</li></ul>
Old 03-31-2001, 11:18 PM

Default Re: Hope this isn't a RTFM question but... [long]

The single beep when pushing the stick into reverse is the confirmation for the correct function of the park sensors! So you have to hear that sound - may be the volume can be adjusted - but I don't know.
Old 04-01-2001, 12:14 AM

Default Value that sound...

That's Parktronic, reporting for duty. Don't depend on it 100%, but it's exceptionally useful.

I was backing up in the parking lot when this guy walked behind my car, not paying any attention. Thankfully I got beep-beep-beep, 'cause I was trying to get out from between two SUV's that had parked oh-so-tight. Amazing how my car attracts SUV's... I was inching out at a steady pace. You'd think the guy would know better...
Old 04-01-2001, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Value that sound...

I know what the feature is, and it really does work well. Even wish it were on the front like my friends BMW, it really allows you to get just so close without worrying about touching anything. Nice.

But my question is: can the volume be adjusted?

It's way too loud for me in the drivers seat and is absolutely piercing for any rear seat passengers. It's so loud that it's embarassing to me as the owner as everyone is "yikes! what's that!?!".
Old 04-01-2001, 11:03 AM

Default Put a sock in it?

or maybe a resistor in the lead to the beeper (even better -- make it a variable resistor).
Old 04-02-2001, 12:24 PM
Rest In Peace

It's available on the front of the Allorad and A8, so why not the A6 Audi?