A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

I accepted the S6 Avant with the luxury/comfort seats...

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2002, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I accepted the S6 Avant with the luxury/comfort seats...

First, before going to the dealership this morning I sat in my 996 and realized that I really don't fit well into the bolstered seats. I had never really thought about it since these were the seats that came with the car that I wanted. I did try out the Porsche sport seats before my purchase and definately did not fit into that seat at all. My mid to upper back (trapezius) is too wide for the narrow seats.

At the dealership, I first sat in the Sport seats in a A6 and found them to fit quite snug especially around the mid to upper back providing good lateral support. They felt pretty good. I wondered how they would feel after a long drive to Tahoe. I then sat in the seats of my S6 Avant. They were also comfortable, less snug, yet still provided some lateral support and just about equal hip support. I did not feel a dramatic difference between the seats while rocking my torso side-to-side while in an immobile car (weak test huh???). Tweaking the luxury seat back angle and lowering the lumbar support to create a depression in the lower back helped to make the seats more supportive during turns and acceptable for spirited driving during my test drive and drive home. I am happy with the seats, however will get the sport seats next time (if I still fit in them).

Driving impression to come later this weekend. Photos next week.

For those of you waiting for your S6---this car is as impressive as previously described on this board. I'll tell you more later.
Old 03-09-2002, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Looking forward to pictures. Tell us 'bout the 996 too.

Sounds like you have a nice lineup there.

P.S. Did you mean latissimus? Aren't trapezius higher above the shoulders by the neck? Geez, I know, who cares!

Congrats on the S6!
Old 03-09-2002, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Congratulations!! You will love it. I made the same decision for similar reasons (before ordering)

and have absolutely no regrets. We tried the sports seats in a 2.7T, for an extended test, I was indifferent, didn't really work for my 210 lb frame, but my wife had some notable back issues after that drive and we immediately went for the comfort seat option on our S6 order. Thought I might have second thoughts when it arrived, but I love the soft leather and find the real world support to be fine. Its a wonderful car and you will appreciate it for the beautifully integrated overall package with either choice of seats.
Old 03-09-2002, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Congrats, excellent...waiting for pics...and seeing another S6 in NorCal
Old 03-09-2002, 11:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Unless I'm missing something, you probably have sport seats, just without Alcantera.

The non sport seats a world apart from the sport seats... very little side bolstering at all. I don't think Audi would let an S6 out of the factory with base A6 seats.

You were probably just feeling the difference between two pair of sport seats in different states of adjustment, and possibly with different leather or padding. (Vertical vs horizontal bands of leather in the seat and back used to make a noticable difference back when we ordered cars with different "atmospheres.")

I find the lumbar support makes a huge difference. Move it up and forward, and the side bolsters are much less prominent. Move it lower and back, and you feel more like a "bucket" sport seat.

Same with the angle of the seat cushion. If it is raised in the front to meet your thighs near the knees, you will feel lots of lateral support or squeezing inward. Drop the front a bit, and your thighs aren't as squeezed togehter, giving your (er, um...) "physiology" has a bit more room.
Old 03-09-2002, 11:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The "luxury" seats are the same as the S8 "luxury" seats...not the base A6 seats...

they are a no-cost option.
Old 03-10-2002, 06:45 AM

S8 Luxury seats are PHENOMINAL comfy.
Old 03-10-2002, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

They fit the S6? I would have thought the S8 seats would be too wide. Live and learn.
Old 03-10-2002, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Congrats! A beautiful auto.
Old 03-10-2002, 09:33 AM

Congratulations. "this car is as impressive as previously described on this board" - cool!

Quick Reply: I accepted the S6 Avant with the luxury/comfort seats...