A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

I fried car computer? :-( a6 is down and out.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2003, 02:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I fried car computer? :-( a6 is down and out.

My cars battery died about a week ago and I attempted to boost in 3 times. 2 times I succeeded and one time something went wrong and while connecting the cables it sparked up(the terminals and the booster cable). I immediately removed the cables and a couple of days later replaced the battery with a new diehard from sears. After starting it the car had the CEL on and it stalled. Eventually it stopped stalling (after revving the engine) but continued to sputter. My stereo is also dead(no display, cant eject cd changer), but everything else(electrical) seems to be working.

However the car cant go more than 30 mph and it sputters as if there is no gas(it has a full tank) causing it lurch. I had a hell of a time making it to the shop that was 2 miles down the road.

I took it to the shop today and they told me that they think I reversed the cables when I boosted the battery(they noticed the damage to the battery terminal). I doubt it(I *thought* I was being careful when I boosted it), but it does jive with the one failed attempt so I suppose its possible.

They said that they cant get a reading when the battery is plugged in, but that they can when they unplug it. When its unplugged they get a reading and it gives them a reading indicating a problem with the throttle(which is obvious when you drive it).

The mechanic thinks that its a "throttle switch" but that the whole throttle body needs to be replaced. He also thinks though that this isnt the entire problem and that something else is wrong with the cars computer(since they cant get a reading when the battery is connected).

Has anyone heard of this? is it possible to fry a cars computer? It seems that if anything there would be some kind of fuse that should be blown instead of this.

Is there anything I might want to check? Also what should I expect to pay for a used/new throttle body.
Old 12-09-2003, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Get the car to an Audi dealer...

Since you're in Seattle I'd recommend talking to Kevin Fountain at Barrier Audi in Bellevue.
I don't think a regular mechanic could save you money or time on this one.
Old 12-09-2003, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: I fried car computer? :-( a6 is down and out.

I realize I'm late with my info but
one boost on an old battery (IMHO) is one too many. I had a battery explode from the gas vapor trapped inside. Luckily the hood was closed. It ain't a pretty situation. As a result since then, if a battery appears weak, it gets changed out asap.
Since we're driving computers-on-wheels these days it may be better in the long run to let the dealer do the changeout and take the possible liability.
Sorry about your problem.
Old 12-09-2003, 03:53 PM

Default Re: Get the car to an Audi dealer...

Yeah thats one of my problems... I live in Shoreline and as you would know there are only two audi dealers in greater seattle. Im not sure if my car could make it down that far if I tried(not to mention any extra damage I may be doing).

Looks like Ill have to get it towed... this sucks!
Old 12-09-2003, 04:08 PM

Default .

Here's how I see it, chances are you reversed the cables. It happens. The radio prob blew the fuse. Not the one in the dash but the one on the back of the radio itself. If you know someone with radio hooks pull the radio out look on the back and I believe it's a 7.5 amp fuse. As far as the not going over 30 mph bit, that could be anything. I'm not sure how this other shop is communicating with the ECM if the battery is disconnected. Unless I am misunderstanding something. Best bet is to get it to the dealer. And when you take it in tell them the whole story. It will make their life as well as yours easier.
Old 12-09-2003, 04:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Get the car to an Audi dealer...

I am not a mechanic however, you may want to check your charging system. Use an voltmeter and check the batery when the car is off should be over 12 volts. Then start the car and use the voltmeter on the battery again, should be 13.5 to 14 volts. If one or both of these readings are low it may be the charging system like the alternator.
Old 12-09-2003, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Flatbead it to a dealer. That is the ONLY way you will know for sure what is wrong with it.

A regular shop is in no way qualified to work on a modern Audi IMO. That is unless they have tech that have been trained by Audi or have otherwise study the product line. Even then, you might be talking about a major electrical failure. An Audi tech can get help from Germany if he isn't sure what to do, the local shop can't.

-st
Old 12-09-2003, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

your complete system went in safe mode
is your a6 4.2?
e-mail me if is 4.2
Old 12-09-2003, 06:31 PM

its a 2.8... are their computer systems a lot different?
Old 12-10-2003, 06:06 PM

I had the same problem. One day the battery died out of nowhere... (same things you said) ... here we are today.

Basically I needed to replace the throttle housing which at the Audi dealer in NY cost me $850 dollars. Plus, $150 to reset the computer after you put in a new battery. If you take it to the dealer, try to get the computer reset for free. They might do it.

my 2 cents

Quick Reply: I fried car computer? :-( a6 is down and out.