A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

I had a major coolant leak, what should I look for as damage?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2002, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I had a major coolant leak, what should I look for as damage?

Took the car into service (48k)- picked it up, and 30 miles later I get the red coolant icon lighting up my dash. It's 10pm, and the needle goes from middle to H in less than 2mins. First warning.

Managed to get it to a gas station, bought some coolant, and put it in.... started to drip in 4 places from under the car. Straight through- nice waterfall effect.

From looking at the engine, I couldn't see any direct spilling occurring from the actual coolant reservoir. It was dry. My guess is one of the hoses worked itself loose.

Just curious if I should be concerned with corrosion of the hoses, belts, etc. Major bummer since I had the engine steam cleaned less than 800 miles ago.

Since I'm so close to the warranty expiring (49504) and this appears to be too much of a coincidence right after a service visit. I don't want to be paying for hoses or belts in 3k miles.

TIA-
Ernesto
Old 06-24-2002, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default General principles ....

Engine coolant attacks paint, if you got it all hosed off you should be fine.

Chance you have a warped head(s) that may start leaking water into the oil. Considering the short time yo have left on warranty you may want to have some oil tests done to see if it has engine coolant in it.
Old 06-24-2002, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
Default What coolant did you buy on the gas station? I doubt it was a red one.

So it sounds like you had put the wrong coolant. It can damage the engine and void the warranty.
Old 06-24-2002, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Get it documented fast!

If you shut the engine off right away, you probably avoided internal engine damage. How far did you drive after the alarm? Did you oil temperature spike? Any burning smell besides coolant?

I hope you called AoA roadside service, and can document that it occurred immediately following dealer service. Keep that coolant receipt from the gas station. Getting this incident on the record with the dealer before your warranty ends is very important.

Since it was almost certainly due to an error at the dealership, you should press hard for a no-charge thorough mechanical inspection (at the dealer of your choosing) including certified lab test of your engine oil. If there's any sign of internal overheating or heat damage, they owe you a no-cost extended engine warranty. Damage may not make itself known immediately. If an engine bearing or head got cooked, it could cost you thousands in premature wear or engine failure.

I would also call my insurance co. to see if they'll offer any assistance.
Old 06-24-2002, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Good point, have heard mixing coolants = sludgy crap (over time)
Old 06-24-2002, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Maybe the steam cleaning worked a hose loose...

If it's just a hose...I wouldn't worry much about the engine as long as you shut it off quickly and it didn't seize.

Otherwise, I wouldn't offer the info about the adding coolant unless you KNOW it was the right type.

Overall, I'd just suggest to wait and see what the dealer finds as a cause...could be very simple and no big deal...or an "oh sh*t...I'd better start looking for a car to trade this one in on"...

Good luck...
Old 06-24-2002, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I don't think steam knocks things loose, adding any coolant is better than none.
Old 06-24-2002, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm not so sure...

those power steam cleanings can loosen stuff up...degunkifying stuff has a way of loosening things...but anyway...

adding coolant that is incompatible with the other coolant that is already in there may cause more problems than it prevents...perhaps just water would be better.
Old 06-24-2002, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I was waiting to do a full write up on my 48k visit- but the turbos were replaced- i.e the engine

was taken out. I have a Jan 2000, build, and the chirping sound on WOT in 3rd gear (2500 rpm+) was diagnosed as turbos. In addition, the passenger side turbo had a bit of a whine. So they replaced them under warranty, along with a ton of other work.

For the record- the only engine mod I have are the forge DV. Never had a chip, and with the exception of the S6 Avus wheels, and a short shifter, the car is stock.

I was delirious that they swapped the turbos- (I was even contemplating getting K04's and having them put those in) since that was my primary post-warranty concern. But now, I'm afraid it might end up costing me more in the long run.
Old 06-24-2002, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yup- called them. The needle never hit 'H' but came close.

The oil temp stayed int he 225-250 range. Popped the hood and it did smell, but more along the lines of the coolant.

As for putting in coolant, we put it in, with some water, and it went straight through. Flushed straight through. After we got to the station, the engine was turned off, and never went back on. So I'm hoping the issues about bad coolant leaking it might be minimal.

Quick Reply: I had a major coolant leak, what should I look for as damage?