A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

I may have to desert to another manufacturer... (long)

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2000, 01:30 AM
Rest In Peace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I may have to desert to another manufacturer... (long)

Don't burn me! Don't burn me! Aaaagggghhh! The flames! (I expect to get flamed big time for this by the irrational)

I have a problem. I have an A4 2.8 Quattro at the moment and always imagined that I would change it for an A6 Quattro, namely the 2.7T variety. Well, I test drove one and was dissapointed to say the least. "How is that possible?" I hear you ask, it's all to do with the fact that I live in the UK.

The UK A6 2.7T is not quite the same is it's US cousin. It's been detuned to only produce 230hp and has "slightly stiffer" suspension than a standard A6. In other words it's not noticably faster than a 2.8 and it rolls round corners. Remember I'm coming from an A4 2.8, so it seems particularly bad for me. The 16" wheels don't help either - I think 17" would have been a better choice to minimise sidewall distortion.

The upshot is that somebody persuaded me to try a new V70 T5 a few weeks ago, and the 250hp engine certainly moves and provides better fuel economy than the 2.7T (important given UK fuel prices). For the price of a 2.7T with CD player and met paint, I can pick up a T5 SE with DSTC, RTI with TV, Dolby Surround sound, GSM mobile, Winter & Premium Packs. Fully loaded in other words.

Anyone give me a good reason why I should submit to Audi's plans to keep the 2.7T further away from the 4.2 by giving it duff suspension and a detuned engine? Both are overpriced in the UK anyway (as are most cars in the UK), but then to kludge what could have been a great car for the reason of market positioning is just too much.

Have I gone mad? Am I reading too much into Audi's policies? Do they have another reason for the lacklustre UK 2.7T?

Chris
Old 04-27-2000, 02:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Do you do back or B-roads?? Remember Quattro (and more)

I understand the dilemma. I did the same thing before I bought my Avant (which is even less power btw). If you get a 2.7T, the baskic layout is the same. For the engine...chip...a few hundred USD. Not too bad. Then the suspension....well you know where to get help.

This will add a bit of money to the pot but not too much.

I was reading a back issue of Car just now...It talks about the Ur-Quattro and how it ate up a muddy road. Trust me, your T5 will not do the same. Also under hard driving, the T5 comes apart a bit. The heavy front end tends to plow too much for my liking. It is no where near as balanced a car as the A6....especially with upgraded suspension. You can't do the same with the T5....you also can't add quattro...(until the XC version)

Mike
Old 04-27-2000, 04:48 AM
Rest In Peace

Yeah I know... Upgrades may not be an option, as is contract hire (sob)
Old 04-27-2000, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: I may have to desert to another manufacturer... (long)

Is the European 230hp version the same motor as the US version, but with a different chip?
Old 04-27-2000, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: I may have to desert to another manufacturer... (long)

For an additional USD $1000, have it chipped (this makes a *huge* difference in the 2.7T - you'll be picking Volvos out of the front grill...), and get the sport springs.

I looked at the Volvo here in the states - and it does not have the pick up I would expect from the T5. Even the non-chipped US version of the A6 2.7T seemed quicker.

Maybe you can visit Germany and pick it up there??<p>DLow
Old 04-27-2000, 09:57 AM

Default This is pretty simple

If you drove the Volvo and like it better, buy it. Why do you need us to validate your decision or try and change your mind? They are both fine cars. You should check out the May issue of Car and Driver magazine to see what they think of the Volvo, though.
Old 04-27-2000, 10:15 AM
Elder Member

Default same motor

Euro S4 which has 265HP is the same motor also.

The A6's do have a slightly different breather box and a better exhaust system than the S4's though.
Old 04-27-2000, 10:18 AM
Elder Member

Default no sport suspension avail in UK?

The US 2.7T suspension isn't exactly firm either. Is the sport suspension available in UK? It would make a huge difference.

I think you'll regret the T5. The acceleration has flatspots due to the single high pressure turbo and low displacement. Look at the April issue of CAR magazine for their opinion on the LPT vs HPT.

The (US) 2.7T is far smoother and more responsive in normal driving than the T5 (I've driven both) due to lower turbo lag and better low end torque from higher displacement.
Old 04-27-2000, 12:03 PM

Default Greetings fellow Brit...

I'm in a similar situation - contract hire renewal coming up.

My local Audi dealer (Aston Green in Reading) were quite happy to include chipping in a 180hp TT contract hire quote, so if you have any leeway in where the contract is sourced from, try your local dealer. Whether chips are available in the UK for the 2.7T is another matter....

And if you do have flexibility in sourcing, make sure you get a stack of quotes. I've been pricing an A6 1.8T SE Avant Tip with CD Autochanger, Competition Alloys and Leather. The quotes have ranged from £499/month to £598/month. Best so far is from http://www.citycontracts.co.uk.

Or for less money than a 2.7T, how about a Holden Commodore SS, as seen on p28 of May's Top Gear? £30k for a 295hp 5.7 litre V8 that does 0-60 in 6.0 and 150+ top end. Granted, it looks like an Omega and it'll be rough as old boots after an Audi but fun nonetheless :-)

And finally, I agree that Audi UK are mad. Why, when the rest of the world could buy it, were the UK denied for so long the oppurtunity to have an A4 with the 1.8T AND Quattro? 1.8T? - yes. Quattro? - yes. Together? - nope. Stupid.
Old 04-27-2000, 03:06 PM

Odd that GM doesn't offer this vehicle in the US. Probably would do well in Catera form, no?

Quick Reply: I may have to desert to another manufacturer... (long)