A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Installed New Battery in the A6 4.2 This Morning

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2003, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed New Battery in the A6 4.2 This Morning

The replacement was very straight forward thanks to tips (I used the oft-mentioned SEARCH) from a few on this board. Most significant was the first step, removal of the rubber strip that separates the battery/brake fluid reservoir/pollen filter compartment from the rest of the engine bay. Overall, the crux of the process is removing the old battery through an opening that has no more than a couple millimeters of margin to work with. Also, I was apparently quick enough with the exchange that the radio didn't go into SAFE mode. Probably because I had the code ready to enter.

This was the first battery I've ever replaced that didn't happen after the car refused to start and needed a jump. I'm happy that I learned the very subtle near-dead battery "warning signs" from my A4 about 18 months ago. For the record, the OEM A4 battery lasted 43 months and the A6 battery 47 months, both from the build date of the cars.

Both the A4 and the A6 gave *almost* no warning of the impending no-start condition. In each case, I had only one or two slower-than-normal starts that required the motor to crank for a couple of seconds before firing. The alarm beep when locking the car was also not up to its normal volume, the only other clue I recognized. This year I got the "signs" when starting the car to go to work Wednesday morning. I went to NAPA and purchased a NAPA Legend 75 for $99.50. I purchased the battery at lunch, put it in the trunk, and left the A6 at the office because I headed to Seattle for a meeting on Thursday.

I came back Thursday evening and it took 30 seconds of cranking to start. That was odd, becasue there was a lot of cranking power, but it acted like there was not enough voltage to the ignition electronics and the car *chose* not to start right up. I wonder if the electronics on the car check the voltage and then just decides not to work if not within spec. Anyway, Friday morning the car just barely cranked and clicked a couple times, but started at the "moment of truth" when there would have been not even one more revolution out of the starter motor. Knowing I was at the end of the line, I turned the car off, hitched a ride with my wife to work, and took care of the replacement this morning in the nice and warm garage. Oh yeah, my garage is insulated and the walls are painted, too, although that may not be an issue on the board anymore (couldn't help myself, use SEARCH if curious about this obtuse statement).

The A4 battery is far easier to replace in the field. I would not want to replace the A6 battery in the NAPA store parking lot in Bend, Oregon like I did last year with the A4 in a light snow storm and two other skiers waiting on me to get them to Mt. Bachelor for some fresh pow. It reminded me of the awful responsibility I felt on a climb of Mt. Stuart some years ago, it was 15 F when we got up at 0400, my cook stove didn't start after 30 minutes of trying, and all 8 in my party had to climb for several hours in the cold and dark without so much as a warm drink...well, that's just a little story for any of you who would read this far into a post about a mundane battery replacement. :-)
Old 11-01-2003, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Audi OEM battery life is pretty good.

I'm pre-emptively changing both Audi batteries. I did the A8 yesterday, going to do the A6 in a little bit. Both batteries are original, at 5 years + age on both. Not going into cold weather on these batteries - wouldn't be prudent!

Wanted to make this comment, just to make a positive comment about Audi, since so many (AH-HEM VA6) are so negative.
Old 11-01-2003, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: There will be a host of battery failures as the ...

weather turns cold. My '00 battery failed in Oct after sitting idle for a month while we traveled. Word to the wise! check your fluid levels as I don't think it's on the Audi service check list of things to do. Mine was almost dry- and too late to recover.

My local Texaco service station dropped a top of the line AC Delco unit in my A6 in all of about 10 minutes. I think he charged me $130 including tax and installation. 7 year warranty.
Perfect fit, used the factory hold downs and it doesn't ever need to have water added.
Old 11-01-2003, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "Titanium" (model name) battery at Advance Auto Parts, exact fit. $69.42 all up.

Takes a 13mm socket with a long extension to remove the hold-down clamp. 10mm wrench on the connection clamps. Changed it quick, but the radio went into Safe Mode. Have your code handy.
Old 04-20-2004, 01:10 AM

Default Re: Installed New Battery in the A6 4.2 This Morning

got mine at pep boys 70 bucks and a 4 year warantee
Old 11-27-2005, 01:27 PM

Default so what exactly, or how can i find my code for my radio...

as i am going to replace my nono-starting car battery today?